The Department of World Languages and Literatures at Western Michigan University notes the following updates for the Federation of Alliances Françaises, USA.
- Cynthia Ruoff, president of the Alliance Française of Kalamazoo, has been elected for a term of three years to the Board of Directors of the Federation of Alliances Françaises, USA, at the national meeting in Providence, R.I. Dedicated to the enduring friendship between France and the United States, the founders of the federation ensured that Francophones and Francophiles nationwide would meet often to share the beauty of the French language and French and Francophone culture. Founded in 1902, the federation presently includes more than 100 Alliances Françaises in the United States.
- In October with S.E. Monsieur François Delattre, ambassador of France to the United States, present, the federation awarded the prestigious Prix Charbonnier to David McCullough, who as been widely acclaimed as a master of the art of narrative history. This award was in recognition of his most recent book, "The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris." The luncheon program describes this book as “the enthralling, inspiring and, until now, the untold story of the adventurous American artists, writers, doctors, politicians, architects and others of high aspiration who set off for Paris in the years between 1830 and 1900, ambitious to excel in their work.” David McCullough has won the Pulitzer Prize twice and the National Book Award twice, and has received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian award.
- An update on the activities of the Federation of Alliances Françaises is forthcoming. The Federation:
- Supports and encourages member chapters in their promotion of the language and culture of French-speaking peoples.
- Promotes an increased understanding of the French language, literature, history and culture among people in the United States; to encourage cultural exchange and mutual understanding between French-speaking countries and the United States; and to interface with the Alliance Française de Paris, the Delegation, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cultural Services of the French Embassy and other interested partners and institutions.
- Publishes, circulates, creates, promotes, manufactures and otherwise develops books, pamphlets, bulletins, brochures, etc., related to the objectives of the federation.
- Provides assistance to member chapters, individually and collectively, in the designing, publication, promotion and development of appropriate books, pamphlets, etc.
- Acknowledges that the Alliance Française de Paris is the heart of this network (Coeur du réseau).
The federation thanks all of their members for their participation and encourages those with a love of the French language and culture to join and participate in the programs.