KALAMAZOO, Mich.—The music, dance, food and fashions of nearly two dozen cultures will be showcased during Western Michigan University's 28th annual International Festival from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday, April 2, on campus on the second floor of the Bernhard Center.
First hosted in 1989, the popular event features cultural display tables, performances and a fashion show. Admission is free, and for a nominal fee, attendees may sample traditional foods prepared by international students in campus kitchens under the supervision of WMU Dining Services employees.
The International Festival annually attracts about 7,000 students and community members. Attendees are able to "travel" around the world in a single evening while gaining an appreciation for the diversity of cultures prevalent on campus.
Festival hosts for 2017
The University enrolls more than 1,800 international students from 100 countries and has many international student groups.
The groups hosting this year's event are:
- Association of Chinese Students and Scholars
- Association of Filipino-American Students
- Brazilian Students Association
- Bronco African Student Association
- Dominican Student Organization
- Fulbright Student Organization
- German Club
- Helping One Person Everyday
- Indian Student Association
- Indonesian Student Association
- Iraqi Student Union
- Japan Club
- Jamaican Association for Graduate and Undergraduate Students
- Korean Student Association
- Latino Student Alliance
- Malaysian Student Association
- Omani Student Association
- Pakistani Student Association
- Persian Student Association
- Russian Club
- Saudi Student Association
- Taiwanese Student Association
- Vietnamese Student Association
WMU's International Festival is organized by the International Programs Council and Campus Activities Board and co-sponsored by the Haenicke Institute for Global Education, Graduate Student Association, University Cultural Events Committee and Western Student Association.
For more information, visit wmich.edu/international/if.
For directions to campus or a WMU parking map, visit wmich.edu/maps/printables.php.
For more WMU news, arts and events, visit wmich.edu/news.