INAUGURAL PHYLLIS RAPPEPORT PIANO COMPETITION 2022
February 19, 2022
Dalton Center Recital Hall
Western Michigan University
- Application Deadline: February 1, 2022
- Application Fee: $15
PRIZES AND AWARDS:
1st Prize: $1,000 in scholarship money towards studies at WMU School of Music for an incoming student during the academic year 2021/2022 for those students who are eligible
2nd Prize: $500 Cash Award
3rd Prize: $300 in scholarship money toward participation at WMU’s SEMINAR 2022 for those students who are eligible
Special Prize in memory of Jonathan Cook: $200.00 Cash Award for a work composed and performed by the competitor
The competition is open to all pre-college students, grades 6 to 12 as of February 19, 2022.
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
- Contestants are to perform two pieces from the following time periods:
a. One classical sonata or sonatina movement, composed between 1770 – 1815
b. One piano work, composed after 1945
- The classical piano movement is to be performed from memory. The piano work, composed after 1945, can be performed with the score.
- Only complete, unabridged solo piano works in the original form and key will be accepted. No concertos or arrangements may be used.
- Currently, anyone entering a Western Michigan University building is required to wear a mask at all times. Competitors are allowed to take off their mask on stage during their performance. Updates to this policy will be announced as they become available.