Student Complaint Process

If you are a non-Michigan resident and are unable to resolve your concern internally with the University Ombudsman, you may also contact your home state agency to file a complaint. Please click on the links below for more information on the complaint process in your state.

Be advised that most states will require a student to have attempted to resolve any complaints through the University's complaint process, which is set forth in the University Policy Handbook, prior to contacting a state agency to request its intervention.

Alabama Montana
Alaska Nebraska
Arizona Nevada
Arkansas New Hampshire
California New Jersey
Colorado New Mexico
Connecticut New York
District of Columbia North Carolina
Delaware North Dakota
Florida Ohio
Georgia Oklahoma
Hawaii Oregon
Idaho Pennsylvania
Illinois Puerto Rico
Indiana Rhode Island
Iowa South Carolina
Kansas South Dakota
Kentucky Tennessee
Louisiana Texas
Maine Utah
Maryland Vermont
Massachusetts Virginia
Michigan Washington
Minnesota West Virginia
Mississippi Wisconsin
Missouri Wyoming