Western Michigan University is devoted to your success and happiness as a Bronco. Whether you're in Kalamazoo, studying abroad, Punta Gorda or enrolled in one of our other Extended University Programs, WMU is here to assist you with any complaints, concerns or problems you may encounter as a student. The University tracks, monitors and evaluates the student complaint process in order to make institutional improvements where needed.
Before filing a complaint through the form below, consider this official definition of a complaint as you decide whether to use this form:
Any concern that WMU has violated a law, policy or incorrectly applied an established practice. Complaints may be academic or non-academic in nature. Complaints do not supersede or replace misconduct or grievance procedures already in place.
Also take note of these more specific complaint procedures and forms that may be applicable to your situation:
- For instances of protected class discrimination, harassment, or retaliation (this includes sexual misconduct), use the Office of Institutional Equity's incident reporting form. This page also houses the ADA Accommodation request form.
- Grade appeals.
- Hardship withdrawal appeal.
- Non-attendance appeal.
- Program dismissal appeal.
- Use Bronco Fix-It to request a fix from maintenance, custodial, or landscaping services.
- Use ITDirect to request assistance with technology-related issues. Alternatively, you can contact the OIT Help Desk at (269) 387-4357.
- Late add fee appeal.
- Satisfactory academic progress appeal.
- Tuition charge refund appeal.
- Complaints or concerns arising from the Student Code should be directed to the Office of Student Conduct.
- Issues related to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) should be directed to the Registrar’s Office.
- Issues related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) should be directed to the HIPAA Privacy and Contact Officer.
- Issues related to human resources and employment matters should be directed to Human Resources.
- Issues regarding research misconduct should be directed to the Office of the Vice President for Research.
- Issues related to the NCAA, MAC, other athletic conference, or other athletic matters should be directed to the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Issues related to work related safety and environmental concerns on campus should be directed to the Environmental Safety and Emergency Management Office.
- Issues related to Public Safety Officers should be directed to the DPS Oversight Committee
- Issues related to faculty members should be directed to the chairperson/director of the faculty member’s department/school, except as otherwise provided in other WMU’s policy or requirements (such as the WMU Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Violence, Intimate Violence and Stalking Policy and Procedures).
- Issues of suspected unethical financial related activity or fraud may anonymously be directed to www.WMUhotline.ethicspoint.com
If any of the above resources do not apply to your situation, please use the form below to submit a complaint.
Submit a Complaint
Any student may make an anonymous report without disclosing their name, identifying the parties involved, or requesting any action. An anonymous submission of a complaint may limit the University’s ability to respond or take further action and will be taken as a "report only" complaint.