Hardship Withdrawal Appeal

Withdrawal from a course at any time after the end of Western Michigan University's student-initiated withdrawal period will only be permitted through the Hardship Panel withdrawal process of the Grade Appeal and Program Dismissal Appeal Committee. The committee is under the purview of the Professional Concerns Committee of the Faculty Senate. The Hardship Panel will determine if a hardship exists and whether a withdrawal is warranted, and an Appeal for a Hardship Withdrawal form, a typed personal statement, and third-party documentation of said hardship is required. The decision of the Hardship Panel is final and not subject to further appeals. Except for documented and exceptional circumstances, hardship petitions will not be accepted more than one year after the end of the term or session for which the hardship was documented. 

Hardships may include, but not be limited to:

  • Severe physical or mental illness.
  • Injury of student or close family member.
  • Death of a close family member.
  • Act of violence.
  • Exigencies of military service where established procedures are not applicable.

Examples of situations not considered a hardship include, but are not limited to:

  • Student dislikes course, teaching method or professor.
  • Student considers course too difficult.
  • Student has taken on more academic or other obligations than student can handle.
  • Change in major so course no longer needed.
  • Financial constraints.
  • Any situations of resolved or unresolved academic integrity charges.

Withdrawing from a course after the student-initiated withdrawal period has ended must be done through the Hardship-Panel Approved Withdrawal. International students are strongly urged to meet with International Student Services prior to engaging in this process and students receiving financial aid are strongly urged to meet with someone in Student Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Students who need to withdraw but have a hold on their account may withdrawal at the Registrar’s Office in person on the third floor of the Seibert Administration Building or by emailing registrar-info@wmich.edu from your wmich.edu student account.

Contact the Office of the Ombuds at (269) 387-0718 or email eric.mcconnell@wmich.edu with any questions.