WMU Vocal Studies presents:
Collegiate Vocal Audition Workshop
Please join us to learn about the process of preparing and performing a collegiate vocal audition. The 2-hour workshop will include a panel Q&A, specific topic presentations, and mock auditions with individual faculty feedback. The event is open to high school students and their families, voice teachers, and choral teachers.
Please fill out this short registration form to receive the Zoom link, submit advance questions for the Panel Q&A, and submit your video link to receive a 1-on-1 verbal clinic and written feedback on your mock audition and singing.
- Panel Q&A with participant-submitted questions
- Audition basics: How to make the best impression
- Foreign language diction
- Health, wellness, and performance anxiety
- Remote audition tips and technologies
- Sight-reading strategies
- Mock audition clinics and feedback
It is not required to submit a mock audition in order to attend the event. Any student who would like individualized feedback and to be scheduled for a brief 1-on-1 verbal clinic with a member of the WMU voice faculty should submit a video link in advance of the workshop. The video link is submitted through the Registration Form. Videos will not be shared publicly and will only be viewed by the WMU voice faculty. The video submission deadline is December 11.
- Please announce your name and the piece/s you are singing clearly.
- You may submit a video with one or two pieces in any language.
- Video submissions should be links to performances on YouTube or Vimeo.
- Accompaniment is preferred; live or pre-recorded is just fine. (You can find accompaniment for many standard pieces for free on YouTube. Other resources include appcompanist.com or a recording made by your teacher.)
- Do pretend that this is a live audition or your best remote audition -- attire, presentation, singing, and camera angles. Your feedback will be more accurate if you show a true representation of what your audition will look like.
Voice and Choral Faculty
Dr. Kimberly Dunn Adams (choral)
Dr. Karen Kness
Dr. Rhea Olivacce
Dr. Ken Prewitt
Dr. Carl Ratner
Questions can be directed to Dr. Kimberly Dunn Adams - Kimberly.Adams@wmich.edu