Short-term loans are available on a limited basis for books at the beginning of each term, or for emergency situations throughout the term (considered on an individual basis). To apply for a short-term loan, please see a student services representative at Bronco Express.
- Registered for classes for the term.
- Not a WMU employee.
- No past due charges on billing account.
- WMU account is not and has never been in collection.
- No outstanding "non-sufficient funds" checks.
- No history of three or more NSF checks.
- Not in default on a federal loan.
- No monetary registration hold.
- The loan must be for books or emergency related educational expenses.
- If "current balance due" is not zero, financial aid for the current term is pending and the student meets the criteria listed below:
- Financial aid pending for current term must be sufficient to cover current balance due.
- All requested financial aid documents have been submitted.
- If receiving a Federal Direct Student loan, a signed Master Promissory Note and entrance counseling is needed.
- If receiving a Federal Perkins loan, a signed Master Promissory Note is needed.
- If receiving a Federal Direct Parent loan, a signed Master Promissory Note is needed, approved credit check and authorization by the parent that the short-term loan may be paid by the PLUS loan.
- Meet the enrollment requirements for programs awarded.
- Meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements for financial aid purposes.
Books and educational emergencies
- You may receive up to $500 or the cost of books (whichever is less) if the:
- Student has not received a recent refund and
- Pending aid is enough to cover balances owed as well as book loan amount.
- You may receive up to $500 if the:
- Account balance is paid in full, or
- Current term's financial aid is pending and it is sufficient to cover balance owed.
- Individual circumstances considered if you still owe a balance for current term.
- Need documentation of bills owed (eviction notice, shut-off notice, etc.).
- Funds requested are for education-related expenses (rent eviction notice, medical, utilities shut-off notice, transportation repairs, food or child care).
- Loans are not approved for credit card bills, long distance telephone charges or cable television.
- Checks are issued to the vendor and the student; available in 24 hours at Bronco Express.
- For extenuating circumstances only. Not intended for repeated use.
- Loans are generally due in 30 days but no later than the last day of your enrollment for the academic year.
- If not paid by the due date, you will incur a service charge at 1.5 percent a month on the unpaid balance.
- Delinquency in the repayment of a short-term loan will prevent future registration or release of transcripts.
PREFERRED LENDER LIST
WMU has identified four private lenders to appear on our Preferred Lender List through FASTChoice. By visiting FASTChoice, you will be able to compare various loan options from these lenders and apply for loans utilizing the FASTChoice website. WMU will work with any other lender of your choosing, but you will need to contact them directly.
Once you have entered FASTChoice, you will be asked to enter your name and WIN and continue to "Borrowing Essentials". Here, you will learn important information regarding lending, credit, budgeting and making informed loan decisions. Once completed, you can view our Preferred Lender List and receive information on loan options. Again, if you do not choose one of our preferred lenders, you can exit FASTChoice and contact the lender of your choice.
Lender Selection Policy Disclosure
The lenders and loan options presented in FASTChoice were selected for the excellent terms and benefits they provide to borrowers. We review the lender's interest rates and fees, borrower benefits, loan options available to students, high standards in customer service and importance in financial education. All of the information provided on the Loan Options page is reviewed annually to ensure that the benefits that the lenders offer continue to adhere to our criteria. Any loan options that no longer adhere to our criteria are removed, and new loan options are added. At least two lenders will be presented to you at all times. You are free to choose any lender, including those not presented. Application processing will not be delayed unnecessarily if you choose a lender not presented. Our officials are prohibited from accepting any financial or other benefits in exchange for displaying lenders and loan options in FASTChoice. Prohibited activities include: receiving compensation to serve on any lender board of directors or advisory boards; accepting gifts including trips, meals, and entertainment; allowing lenders to staff our institution's financial aid office; allowing lenders to place our institution's name or logo on any of their products; and owning of lenders' stock (for college officials who make financial decisions for our institution).