Hazardous Chemical Disposal

Western Michigan University's Environmental Health and Safety will provide pick up and containers for hazardous waste disposal that is generated from university-related activities. Please call (269) 387-5593 for pickup or questions or to report a spill.  Private residents may drop off their household hazardous waste at the Kalamazoo County Household Hazardous Waste Center.

Types of materials picked up

 Chemical waste

  • Acids
  • Batteries
  • Bases
  • Biohazard and sharps waste
  • Chemical lab wastes
  • Fixed tissues
  • Gasoline
  • Mercury
  • Oils
  • Oil and latex paints
  • Pesticides
  • Photo chemicals
  • Solvents

How to collect waste for disposal

  • Label each container with its content.
  • Keep waste separate for effective disposal costs.
  • Place sharps in an approved locking container.
  • Place biohazards in leak-proof bag/container.

 Other materials

  • Electronics wastes are recycled through Logistical Services (269) 387-8811
  • Fluorescent lamps are recycled through Custodial Services (269) 387-8085
  • Recycling Services at Office for Sustainability (269) 387-8165
  • Broken or used glassware are recycled through Custodial Services (269) 387-8085

Notify us at (269)387-5593 with the location and we will remove for disposal. Notify us of any spills.