UMSC December Minutes

UNION-MANAGEMENT SAFETY COMMITTEE
December 2022 Meeting Minutes

The monthly meeting of the Union-Management Safety Committee was conducted on December 13th, 2022 by the Environmental Health and Safety department with the following individuals in attendance:

Kathi Cain-Babbitt A AFSCME
Kelly Duncan A Landscape Services
Mark Frever A Landscape Services
Darrell Junkins A Landscape Services
Pat Lem A Maintenance Services
Dennis Moore A Maintenance Services
Keith Pung A Environmental Health and Safety
Juanita Snell A Custodial Services
Mark Weiss A Environmental Health and Safety
Jake Woods A Environmental Health and Safety

In-Person Attendance: (A)
Virtual Attendance: (VA)

OLD BUSINESS

Jake Woods previously provided an update to the request for fentanyl awareness, active shooter / intruder response, and other hazardous materials such as needles/unknown chemicals/etc training for Landscape Services personnel. Jake opened a dialogue with WMU-DPS and Landscape Services management. Training availability and specifications were confirmed with WMU-DPS responsible for active shooter / intruder response and WMU-EHS responsible for the other subjects. Mark Frever mentioned that he would coordinate scheduling.

Kathi Cain-Babbitt previously introduced a safety concern involving damaged walkways and/or stairs at Waldo Stadium. Kathi observed a Facebook post / group chat during a recent football game where patrons discussed damaged materials being present in seating sections D/E. She subsequently forwarded along the concerns to the FM Service Center who issued work order LA-100111. The work order was open as of the December meeting.

Jake Woods provided an update to the concern involving damage to an underground vault located in parking lot #37; in front of the Kohrman Hall chiller/mechanical room. The upper section of the vault is damaged and tradespeople are concerned that a vehicle could fall into it. The area in question was isolated by a traffic safety cone by Maintenance Services personnel in an effort to prevent an accident. Jake contacted the FM Engineering department who informed him that they were working on having a custom-made cover procured, due to OEM no longer being available. The new cover will be recessed to minimize disturbance during snow removal efforts. Pat Lem may pursue installation of a parking barrier until the new cover has been installed.

Jake Woods provided an update to the public safety concern regarding a situation where a Custodial Services employee personal vehicle was broken into while parked in lot #51 (lower Sindecuse Health Center). Laura Weber previously mentioned that University insurance does not cover personal belongings whether they are located in personal or University vehicles. Jake contacted FM Engineering who informed him that one lighting pole in the affected area did have repairs completed on 11-3-22, but that all equipment was now in good operation. Data from a historical lighting survey indicated levels in lot #51 were observed to be adequate. December Committee discussions involved an inquiry for lockable lockers for Custodial Services personnel. Juanita Snell will investigate and provide a follow up.

Darrell Junkins provided an update to the concern involving hand railing that was observed to be loose along a stairway near Lawson Ice Arena. Darrell investigated and observed significant corrosion to the metal base components. He subsequently submitted a FM Work Order requesting repairs/replacement.

Mark Frever provided an update to the concern involving concrete walkways and stairways that need repair. Mark mentioned that a study of damaged flatwork, no stairways, on campus was performed in 2022, a similar study had been conducted in 2017. Locations of damage were identified depending on severity and size; maps depicting this information were provided and will be attached to the distributed meeting minutes. Textured ADA crossings and some Parkview Campus locations were identified. A plan is in place that involves critically identified locations being prioritized in a deferred maintenance project. Damage to stairways and newly observed issues should still be made known by use of the FM Work Order system.
COMPLETED/CLOSED

Kelly Duncan provided an update to the concern of depressions in the lawn near Parking Lot 94. The areas of concern had been observed to be deep enough that an individual could step in and trip/fall. Kelly made the locations known to the responsible Landscape Services region who filled the depressions in with soil. She will continue to monitor the area in case subsidence continues.
COMPLETED/CLOSED

Mark Frever provided an update to the concern regarding lack of visibility while using Landscape Services salt spreading and spray trucks. The vehicles in question have a large storage unit in the bed of the pickups that obstructs the rear-view mirror; they also typically have a large device on the rear of the vehicle that protrudes further than the actual truck. Both of these issues can cause hardship for vehicle operators during snow removal efforts. Mark mentioned that 9 vehicles (salt spreaders, spray, and RTV) are being outfitted with rear-facing cameras by the Transportation Services Garage. The cameras will be active during all equipment operation.
COMPLETED/CLOSED

Jake Woods provided an update to the safety concern involving high-visibility clothing items that are issued to Landscape Services personnel who assist with Arborists related tasks. Arborist tradespeople have been issued high-visibility articles of clothing while personnel who assist on the ground have been issued high-visibility safety vests. Employees have inquired whether all involved personnel could be issued high-visibility clothing rather than vests. Jake Woods commented that he had recently investigated this topic of concern and found that MIOSHA rules explicitly state that vests are to be used by ground personnel. He also mentioned that best practice, although not required by law, would be to ensure that the issued vests are break-away type. Jake investigated and found that Velcro break-away type safety vests are being provided.
COMPLETED/CLOSED

Jake Woods provided an update to the concern involving damaged guard railing located along the Northwest side of Parking Structure #2. The yellow railing support members were observed to be rusted through at their base; they are significantly loose and currently held up with wire. The guard railing is a fall protection measure that protects pedestrians from a fall greater than 4’. Jake contacted FM Engineering and Parking Services who informed him that replacement was being pursued. Complete repairs/replacement confirmed on 12/15/22.
COMPLETED/CLOSED

Jake Woods provided an update to the concern regarding washed out pavement and a hole in the driveway located between the Faunce Student Services Building and North Kohrman Hall. John Seelman and the FM Engineering department coordinated a fast response and complete repairs of the damaged areas.
COMPLETED/CLOSED

Jake Woods provided an update to the issue concerning a University vehicle parked in lot #41 that had been causing a visual obstruction. Jake helped facilitate relocation of the Custodial Services van.
COMPLETED/CLOSED

PROJECT LIST/TABLE
No Updates

NEW BUSINESS

Kathi Cain-Babbitt introduced a concern involving the spray-paint booth/room located in the Physical Plant. She inquired about type of personal protective equipment required and other information related to designated spray area. Mark Weiss will investigate and provide a follow up.

SAFETY HAPPENINGS

Mark Weiss expressed appreciation for the efforts of the Committee which have an observable impact in reducing injures and increasing campus safety/security.

Mark Frever mentioned that in response to reported slips and falls, Landscape Services has begun early morning (3:00 a.m.) targeted snow removal / salting of building entries and time-clock locations for Custodial Services.

Jake Woods stated that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recognizes December as Impaired Driving Holiday Season. This is an annual observance held in December each year highlighting that the holiday season is known for being merry and bright, but it is also known for being the deadliest season when it comes to drunk driving. Unfortunately, every holiday season, lives are lost due to impaired drivers. Further information can be found at: https://www.trafficsafetymarketing.gov/get-materials/drunk-driving/drive....

The next UMSC meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 10th, 2023 in the shared conference room located on the ground floor of the E.W. Building at 10:00 a.m.; an invitation to attend via video conferencing platform (WebEx) will also be sent out with these minutes. Please send a substitute representative if you are unable to attend.

Published: 12/21/2022