When applied to design and construction of facilities and landscapes, sustainability translates into the allocation and application of resources such that:
- Energy consumption is minimized.
- Construction and demolition wastes are recycled to the greatest extent possible.
- Landscaping uses native species and stormwater runoff is captured and treated before entering the watershed.
- A healthy indoor environment is produced by employing such strategies as natural daylighting, low off-gassing materials and fresh air regulators.
- Materials, finishes and equipment, as well as mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems are chosen with total life cycle costs taken into considerations; not just the initial cost of purchase and installation.