Lee Honors College students present at National Alpha Lambda Delta conference

A photo of Lindsey Beck and Ashley Dittmar delivering a presentation at the National ALD conference.
Posted by Bethany Gauthier on

Alpha Lambda Delta, (ALD), a national honor society that recognizes students’ academic success during their first year at a college or university, held their annual leadership conference this fall in Arlington, VA, and five Lee Honors College students took part—including two students who presented at the conference, Lindsey Beck and Ashley Dittmar. 

The students who attended the conference serve as officers in the Western Michigan University chapter of ALD: Lindsey Beck (public relations), Seth Byrne (volunteer coordinator), Katie Davis (president), Ashley Dittmar (vice president) and Aqdas Khan (secretary). They were accompanied by Anthony Helms, Lee Honors College interim assistant dean, vice president for chapter relations and expansion for National Alpha Lambda Delta and advisor, WMU Chapter of Alpha Lambda Delta. 

The conference featured a variety of panels, networking events, presentations on topics including event planning, fundraising, peer-to-peer mentoring and community engagement and there was also time allotted for exploring nearby Washington, D.C. Lindsey Beck and Ashley Dittmar’s presentation was titled ‘Social Media & Student Engagement at WMU’ and illustrated WMU ALD’s social strategy and goals on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. 

Both Beck and Dittmar enjoyed their experience as presenters and their travels to Virginia. One of Beck’s favorite moments from the conference was the opening night dinner for attendees. “I met some really wonderful people and learned a lot about how other people ran their chapters in different places. I also really enjoyed the round table discussions because I felt like it was a great opportunity to learn from others and also to share my own experiences to help other chapters improve. I knew that when I joined ALD I would be joining a community on my campus, but after attending the conference I realized that I had joined a community that was all across the country.”

Dittmar added, “I really enjoyed the trip because I had never been to Washington, D.C. before and was excited to have the opportunity to sightsee along with attending the conference and learning ways to improve our ALD chapter. My favorite memories were going to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and enjoying some of the science exhibits there, and also getting lots of ideas for volunteer opportunities for our chapter at the conference because service is my favorite part of ALD.”

Attending the conference was a valuable experience for the attendees and provided inspiration for the WMU chapter. Dittmar is “looking forward to implementing some of my ideas gathered from the meeting in 2022, especially as I will be president this fall. I plan to continue to find COVID-safe volunteer opportunities that benefit our campus and the greater Kalamazoo community.” 

To learn more about Alpha Lambda Delta, The National Honor Society for First-Year Success, please visit their website. For more information on WMU’s Alpha Lambda Delta chapter, please visit the chapter website.