Western Michigan University's 2023 open enrollment period begins on Monday, Oct. 31, and concludes on Friday, Nov. 18. All enrollment and change forms must be submitted to Human Resources by 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 18. Please note, late forms will be subject to review.
Enrollment elections will take effect on Jan. 1, 2023, and health plan payroll deduction amount changes will take effect with your first paycheck in January.
Your current benefits elections will continue into calendar year 2023 if you do not take any action. This is your annual opportunity to add dependents to your health plan or enroll yourself if you waived coverage. After open enrollment ends, you cannot change your benefit election unless you have a qualifying life event.
Flexible Spending Account (FSA) elections must be renewed each year during open enrollment. FSA elections will not roll over into the next year.
This is also a good time to update your address and life insurance beneficiary designations.
Please select your 2023 Benefits Guide below
- Aviation Associates, Post-Graduate Fellows (R3)
- COBRA Participants - Aviation, Post-Graduate Fellows (R3)
- COBRA Participants - AFSCME, AAUP, POA, MSEA, Non-Bargaining Exempt Staff, Non-Bargaining Nonexempt Staff
- Dining Services, Facilities Management and Other (AFSCME)
- Faculty (AAUP)
- Police Officers (POA)
- Power Plant (MSEA)
- Research Associate, Senior Research Associate or Principal Research Associate
- Senior Administrative Officers
- Staff Compensation
- Temporary Employees - ACA Eligible
- Retirees, Surviving Spouses (MSEA)
FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNTS
You may choose to participate in up to two flexible spending accounts, which allow you to use pre-tax dollars to pay for qualified medical and dependent care expenses. The maximum annual contribution to a health care flexible spending account is $3,050. The maximum annual contribution to a dependent care flexible spending account is $5,000, or $2,500 for employees whose income tax status is married filing separately.
For the 2023 plan year, health care flexible spending account participants may carry over up to $570 of unused funds into the 2023 plan year. There will not be dependent care FSA carryover from 2023 into 2024.
WHAT FORMS DO I NEED TO COMPLETE?
- To change your health care benefit election effective Jan. 1, 2023, complete the PPO health insurance enrollment form printable. PPO health insurance enrollment form fillable
- To change your health care benefit election effective Jan. 1, 2023, complete the HMO health insurance enrollment form printable. HMO health enrollment form fillable.
- To enroll a designated eligible individual effective Jan. 1, 2023, complete the designated eligible individual enrollment form printable, designated eligible individual enrollment form fillable, and submit the supporting documentation.
- To enroll or re-enroll in a flexible spending account for 2023, complete the flexible spending account enrollment form.
WHERE DO I SEND MY COMPLETED FORMS?
Submit your completed health insurance enrollment and change form and flexible spending account enrollment form to Human Resources no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 18, 2022. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 269-387-3441.
WHEN WILL MY CHANGES TAKE PLACE?
Health care benefit and flexible spending account elections are effective Jan. 1, 2023. Payroll deductions begin with the first paycheck received in January 2023.
MEDICARE PART D AND OTHER IMPORTANT NOTICES?
Are you or your dependent(s) eligible for prescription drug benefits under Medicare Part D due to age or disability? Is so, please review the Medicare Part D Notice using the link below.
If you have additional questions about benefits open enrollment, please contact Human Resources at 269-387-3620 or email email@example.com.
The information outlined above is subject to legal documents that pertain to each benefit plan and policies, procedures, contracts, or collective bargaining agreements, which are controlling as to the availability and amount of benefits. This website is not a legal document.