Graduate Application Procedures
Students interested in graduate programs in mechanical engineering at Western Michigan University should follow the procedures outlined below. Although not required for admission, applicants are strongly encouraged to contact individual faculty to discuss similar research interests.
Deadline for domestic applicants
- Fall deadline: June 1; term begins in early September.
- Spring: November 1; term begins in early January.
- Summer: March 1; term begins in early May.
Deadline for international applicants
- Fall deadline: April 1; term begins in early September.
- Spring: August 1; term begins in early January.
- Summer: January 15; term begins in early May.
Applications not complete by these dates will not be considered. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure their applications are complete.
All students must submit the following University application form:
- U.S. students—complete the University application form, Office of Admissions, (269) 387-2000.
- International students—complete the international University application form
- International students are required to provide proof of English language proficiency.
- Transcripts—request official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended and send your transcript(s) to:
Office of Admissions and Orientation
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5211 USA
Hand carried or student copies cannot be accepted. Official transcripts from all previous institutions must be received before your application can be considered for admission.
In light of COVID-19, WMU is temporarily suspending the University GRE requirement for doctoral programs for students who are applying for admission from Spring 2021 through Fall 2022.
Admission after Fall 2022: For all programs (M.S. and Ph.D.) you must take the general graduate record examination and have the scores for the verbal, quantitative and analytical sections sent from the Educational Testing Service to the WMU Office of Admissions (WMU institution code: 1902; Department code: 1502).
As a part of the online application, three recommendation letters from professors you have worked with or have had as instructors or other individuals you know on a professional basis need to be submitted to the Office of Admissions. Recommendation letters uploaded by students or agency will not be accepted.
Tuition and financial support
All tuition and fees at registrar's website. Students who require financial support can apply for a graduate assistantship. All graduate assistantships are awarded through department faculty. Admitted students are encouraged to contact faculty who are actively conducting research in their areas of interest and inquire about financial support. Information about department faculty.
For more information
If you have questions about our programs or the application process please contact: Dr. Koorosh Naghshineh, Director of Mechanical Engineering Graduate Programs.
- Dr. Murali Ghantasala, advisor of mechanical engineering graduate programs | Email Dr. Ghantasala
- Dr. Kapseong Ro, advisor of aerospace graduate program | Email Dr. Ro
Phone: (269) 276-3431