In-state tuition

Western Michigan University will grant in-state tuition to all individuals who are eligible for VA educational benefits.

Western Michigan University will also grant in-state tuition to all individuals who are not eligible for VA educational benefits but have honorably served or are serving in the Reserve or Active Components of the US Armed Forces.

Western Michigan University will additionally grant in-state tuition to dependents of those individuals who have honorably served or are serving in the Reserve or Active Components of the US Armed Forces, but would otherwise not be eligible for VA educational benefits. For this purpose, a child is a dependent as defined by IRS income tax regulations. This term also includes a spouse, widow or widower of a servicemember or veteran who has honorably served.

The following documentation is required to process an in-state tuition request:

For the military member: DD-214

Spouse of a military member: The military member's DD-214 and the marriage certificate 

Child of a military member: The military member's DD-214 and the students birth certificate


Traditional educational benefits are often overlooked by military members due to the other educational benefits available but starting with the task of completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) opens you up to the possibility for additional scholarships, grants, work study and loans.

Visit the Financial Aid department's website to learn more about how to apply.

Financial aid checklist

Here are some additional tools to help you plan for college:

  • College Scorecard: A planning tool and resource to assist prospective students and their families as they evaluate options in selecting a school.
  • College Navigator: A consumer tool that provides school information to include tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, student loan default rates and features a cost calculator and school comparison tool.
  • College Financing Plan: A model aid award letter designed to simplify the information that prospective students receive about costs and financial aid so they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where to attend school.
  • Paying for College” webpage: A tool that can be used by prospective students to enter the names of up to three schools and receive detailed financial information on each one and to enter actual financial aid award information.


The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a service member’s professional and personal self-development goals. TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning and is part of an approved academic degree or certificate program.

  • Those receiving the GI Bill, Post-9/11 GI Bill or Yellow Ribbon Program incentives are not eligible to receive Federal Tuition Assistance.
  • In order to apply for Federal Tuition Assistance, you will need a Common Access Card reader. One can be found at the Military and Veterans Student Lounge in Ellsworth Hall or the ROTC computer lab.

Army: GoArmyEd Factsheet

Navy: Navy College Program

Air Force: You must log into the AF portal

Marines: Marine Corps Tuition Assistance

Coast Guard: Coast Guard Tuition Assistance


The Michigan State Tuition Assistance Program (MINGSTAP) is a State of Michigan funded tuition assistance program that pays for the tuition costs of eligible Michigan National Guard service members.

  • Actively drilling members of the Michigan Air and Army National Guard are authorized this benefit
  • This is a repayment program between the student and the National Guard
  • Information on how to apply for this program is located on the MINGSTAP website. 

VA Education Benefits

The military offers a variety of Veterans Affairs educational benefits. Western Michigan University accepts the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Montgomery GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program.

If you are interested in details about how to initiate your benefits, contact Brenda Hamlyn, veterans affairs certifying official.

If you have questions regarding VA education benefits, health care, Guard or Reserve units in Michigan, or benefits, contact Brent Haddow, vet success on campus coordinator.



  • If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program.
  • Use the GI Bill comparison tool to help make the decision on which VA benefit works best for you.