Getting Started

Let us help with your transition to life at Western Michigan University. The resources below will guide you from your application to your first day in the classroom.

For more information and resources please fill out the form linked below. 

OMVA Information form 

Military and dependent checklist

If you have any questions regarding the military student checklist, please contact the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs at (269) 387-4444.


Scholarship hunting

Video of Scholarship Hunting

Benefit assistance

Unsure of what military education benefits are available to you? The Office of Military and Veterans Affairs has created the following videos to help answer your questions.

Video of Benefit Brief

How to apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® as someone who is currently serving or has previously served:

Video of Post 911

How to apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® as a military dependent: 

How to transfer your benefits from one school to another:

Video of Transfer Benefit
How to transfer your education benefit to a dependent:

Video of Transferring your GI Bill benefits to dependents step 1

Military Transition course: UNIV 1030

This one-semester, two credit hour course is set up to provide you with all of the resources needed to succeed at WMU. The course was created by military and is taught by military. The textbook is free and the class is a great way to jump-start your GPA. Enroll by simply telling your academic advisor that you’d like to join the class.

Veterans Upward Bound Program

Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is  a federally funded program that provides veterans with the support needed to reach their educational, vocational and career goals. Benefits of participating include a monthly stipend, college and career advising, tutoring, skill building and networking, as well as assistance with admissions, financial aid, career and veteran services. Participation is voluntary and there is no financial commitment. 


Note: VUB is housed at Grand Valley State University, but representatives will come to Western Michigan University.