New Experiences and Challenges in Spain

Posted by Sarah Basar on

Sarah Basar
Education
Universidad de Cantabria Undergraduate Program (Faculty-Led), Summer II 2017People gathering across a river in Spain at night.

Studying abroad in Spain helped me to better understand how non-American people view Americans. I found that, in Spain, there are some common stereotypes about Americans—they think we are very loud and wild when we drink, for example, and also that everyone from the U.S. has a lot of money. When I would watch the news with my host family, there would be a segment dedicated to major current events happening in the United States. Many Spaniards have opinions about Donald Trump while in America we don’t pay that much attention to other countries’ presidents unless there is something significant happening. I found that we are viewed as a country of power and wealth, opinions that aren’t necessarily negative, but I also found myself wanting to help Spaniards understand that there was more to America than what can be seen from its political, economic, and media influences.

I had some interesting out of class experiences during my time in Spain. Part of my purpose for studying abroad was to research Spanish holidays/festivals, experience them, and then write culture-based lesson plans for my Spanish Education honors thesis. I was able to view and participate in many different activities, one being the celebrations that happen every year for the Baños de Ola. This festival celebrates and remembers the development of the city of Santander, a process that was accelerated during the 19th century due to a country-wide cholera epidemic. People flocked to the northern beaches to escape and avoid the epidemic, and the increased population greatly contributed to the shaping of the city’s culture. This was also due to the city soon becoming a favorite of the kings and noblemen, who would bath in the beaches waters. It was interesting to authentically experience how Spanish natives celebrated this part of their history. This holiday is celebrated in mid-July every year. The city was filled with inhabitants and visitors coming to participate in festivities such as fireworks and cultural dances/performances. Many businesses closed, food stands were set up all around the city, and there was a constant environment of energy and positivity.

Overcoming language barriers was a little difficult. I speak intermediate Spanish and have a decent vocabulary, but there were many times where it was difficult to communicate with my host family or Spanish natives in restaurants or streets. It didn’t take long to learn key words that I said a lot, such as “check, please” and “ok” and general numbers and types of food. I often found myself rehearsing questions and phrases in my mind before saying them out loud. I also expressed ideas, desires, or problems thoroughly using the vocabulary that I knew, something that made me feel like I was talking in circles but also helped my conversant to better understand my meaning. Adopting the Spanish accent was very important, too—many times people couldn’t understand me unless I pronounced a word correctly.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my study abroad experience and would recommend it to everyone. There are always culture differences and challenges, but what one learns along the way is worth the hard work. Western does a great job of taking care of students studying abroad, and I am very thankful to have gone on my trip to Spain.

Categories: Europe, Spain, College of Education and Human Development, cultural differences, language barriers, communication, forming new relationships, food, restaurant culture, lessons learned, self care, Summer II.