WMU Study Abroad Learning Objectives
Learning objectives for all WMU Study Abroad programs are:
- Knowledge: demonstrating an understanding of a host culture’s values through a global lens.
- Proficiences: increasing global cognitive, professional and/or language skills.
- Perspective: gaining heightened awareness of your own individual origins, practices and habits, and empathizing with other cultures.
- Connections: understanding that humans are interdependent and should work toward a just and a sustainable future.
Join Study Abroad's efforts to send more students abroad by inviting us into your classroom to share information with your students about the many opportunities available to them to study abroad while earning a degree at Western Michigan University. Presentations can be as short at 10 minutes or as long as an hour, depending on your schedule, and they are focused on the many benefits of studying abroad—personal, academic, and professional. Frequently asked questions about study abroad will also be covered, such as those related to how much it costs and how credits earned transfer to WMU.
Program Proposals and Development Funding for WMU Faculty
- Propose to Lead a New Program
- Propose to Lead a Previously Run Program
- Faculty Development Funding Request
- Guide for developing and leading short-term study abroad programs at WMU
- Faculty FAQ's and Tutorials
- WMU Study Abroad Policies—Memo from the Provost's Office regarding credit-bearing activities abroad.
- Roles and Responsibilities of WMU Study Abroad Program Directors—Outlines the duties performed by Program Directors in each stage of the Study Abroad process.
- WMU Group Safety Plan—Required for group travel to certain countries based on geographic risk, as assigned by the U.S. State Department.
- Gender-based violence and Title IX reporting resource
- Guest Statement of Responsibility—Required for unenrolled guests of faculty directors accompanying a WMU Study Abroad program.
- International travel and insurance coverage information for Western Michigan University employees.
- Clery Information and Links