"Scholarships made it possible to go to Ireland on the Global Sustainability Accounting and Reporting program! I'm extremely grateful for my opportunity to study abroad at WMU!" - Jana

The WMU Study Abroad Office recommends that students conduct extensive scholarship research to identify awards that are applicable to their study abroad plans. 

In many cases, students receive scholarship awards from a variety of sources including the Haenicke Institute for Global Education, WMU academic colleges or departments, their study abroad program provider or host university abroad (if applicable), and other external funding sources. Students are strongly encouraged to explore WMU Scholarship Universe for additional scholarship opportunities. Students who choose to participate in "virtual" or alternative study abroad programs should check with the scholarship provider to make sure those programs are eligible for scholarship funding.

Guaranteed Scholarship for Pell Grant Recipients

All students who receive the federal Pell Grant to attend WMU will automatically receive scholarship funding of at least $1,250 upon acceptance to a study abroad program administered by WMU Study Abroad; this includes faculty-led, faculty-directed, exchange, or study abroad partner programs. 

  • This will be awarded in the form of one of the three WMU Study Abroad scholarships (HIGE Study Abroad, Mesara, or President's Grant). 
  • Please note that students are only eligible to receive this funding once per term, but can receive it multiple times if they study abroad multiple times. Students who participate in 3rd Party Program Provider or unaffiliated programs are not eligible for this scholarship funding.

Note: U.S. citizen undergraduate students who receive federal Pell Grants are strongly encouraged to apply for the Gilman Scholarship Program.

Scholarship Resources

Explore potential scholarship opportunities within the categories below. Please note that this list is not comprehensive of all study abroad scholarship opportunities that may exist, so the WMU Study Abroad Office recommends conducting additional research to identify other awards that may be applicable to your study abroad plans. 


Haenicke Institute for Global Education

WMU Study Abroad Scholarships - No separate scholarship application is required to be considered for these funds. A students' study abroad program application serves as the application to be considered for Haenicke Institute for Global Education Scholarships. Haenicke Institute for Global Education (WMU Study Abroad) scholarship funding is only available for WMU students who earn 3 or more credits in the same semester/term in a study abroad course/program. Please note that only degree-seeking WMU students are eligible for scholarships administered by the Haenicke Institute for Global Education.

WMU College & Department-Specific Scholarships

Many WMU academic colleges and departments offer scholarship opportunities to support students’ study abroad experiences.

Financial Need-based Scholarships

Study abroad scholarship opportunities available to students who received the Pell Grant as a part of their federal financial aid. 

  • Gilman Scholarship

    Gilman Scholarship—national award that provides substantial study abroad funding to select Pell-grant eligible students.

  • Gilman-McCain Scholarship

    Gilman-McCain Scholarship—national award that provides substantial funding to select recipients of Title IV funding (i.e., Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Perkins Loan, etc.) and are a dependent child of an active-duty service member. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.

Diversity & Inclusion Scholarships

Program Provider/Host University Scholarships

Many study abroad program providers and host universities offer study abroad scholarship opportunities for students participating in their programs. 

Foreign Language Study Scholarships

Post-Graduation Scholarships

  • Fulbright for WMU Students & Alumni

    Fulbright for WMU Students & Alumni—The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals and artists from the United States to study, conduct research or to serve as an English teaching assistant abroad for one academic year. In addition, Critical Language Enhancement Awards are available to grantees for study of critical-need foreign languages before or concurrently with their grant period.

Other Resources