Study Abroad Transcripts

After program concludes

  • To receive credit for academic work completed abroad, the Study Abroad office must receive an official transcript from the study abroad host institution or program provider.
  • Students are responsible for requesting their study abroad transcript to ensure it is received by Western Michigan University Study Abroad in a timely manner. It normally takes two to four months after the conclusion of the program abroad for the transcript to be issued. During the waiting period, study abroad credits will be listed as I (incomplete) on the student's WMU academic record. Grades must be processed within one year of the semester of study abroad; after that time the I (incomplete) credits will convert to a failing grade (E).
  • When the host institution transcript is received by Study Abroad, staff will work with the WMU Registrar's Office to process the study abroad credits earned.
  • Seniors who study abroad during their last semester at WMU will not receive their WMU diploma until a later semester due to the time necessary to obtain and process the host university transcript. Students should take this into consideration when making their post-graduation plans. 

Transcripts must be submitted to Study Abroad

Attn: (Name of study abroad specialist)
Haenicke Institute for Global Education
3306 Faunce Student Services
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5246 USA

Short-term study abroad courses taught by WMU faculty are WMU courses—grades are recorded automatically on the WMU transcript at the end the course. Students are encouraged to work closely with the appropriate academic advisors to determine how these credits will be counted toward their degree requirements.