Learn, interact and enjoy the globe with virtual study abroad! Virtual study abroad programs give students the opportunity to gain many of the skills acquired when traveling abroad while studying from their own homes. In virtual study abroad programs, students interact with peers in other countries and collaborate on projects via videoconferencing. Formats vary between programs, from independent project-work to group presentations to written assignments with final examinations.
- Earn university credit.
- Learn from international experts.
- Collaborate with international peers.
- Navigate cross-cultural environments.
- Network with current and future leaders in their field as well as international peers and professionals.
- Connect with local people and communities around the world.
- Gain the confidence to travel abroad in the future.
- Acquire the critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills employers seek.
- Grow your cultural awareness, self-reflection and empathy.
- Participate in fun virtual activities, from tours of famous historical and cultural sites to cooking classes and socials with international students.
- Save money while gaining many of the same skills and competencies acquired on a travel program.
Program options and comprehensive information is housed in our online search, application and program management system, Broncos Abroad.
The Haenicke Institute for Global Education (HIGE) Study Abroad Scholarship: Virtual offers need–based scholarships for short-term study abroad courses (with no international travel) directed by Western Michigan University faculty in summer I or summer II session. These awards are worth up to $200 and all students with demonstrated financial need will receive some funding.