WMU benefits employees

Starting in 2019, changes will affect some employees covered by Western Michigan University’s insurance plans. Please check with your specific plan for changes.

For Western Michigan University employees, their dependents and WMU retirees covered by some University insurance plans, using the WMU vision clinic can provide significant cost savings. Here are some of the vision benefits:

  • WMU benefits allow for a complete eye exam (general or low vision) every two years.
  • Your copay due at time of service is determined by your current insurance plan offered through WMU.
  • You will be granted a pre-determined allowance per covered individual to be used for lenses, frames, contact lenses or contact lens portion of the exam (or a combination of any) in a period of 24 consecutive months depending on your current insurance plan.
  • Choose from a wide variety of attractive frames and sunglasses.

Note: If a second complete (frame and lenses) pair of glasses is ordered at the time of your appointment, the out-of-pocket cost for the lenses is 50 percent off.

Current Insurance Accepted

  • WMU Employee BCBS, BCN and VSP
  • Straight Medicaid (exam and medical only)
  • Meridian Medicaid (exam and medical only)
  • Medicare ($30 refraction fee due at time of service; medical exam only)

Medicare Policy

Medicare covers 80 percent of a low vision exam, with the recipient responsible for the remaining 20 percent to be collected at the time of service.