If you decide to major in finance at Western Michigan University, you will learn to analyze financial information and produce forecasts of business, industry and economic conditions for use in making investment decisions for companies and for investment portfolios. While at WMU, you will master the skills needed to:
- Interpret data affecting investment programs, such as price, yield, stability, future trends in investment risk, and economic influences.
- Prepare plans of action for investment based on financial analysis.
- Evaluate and compare the relative quality of various securities in a given industry.
- Manage short-term credit needs and cash availability of a company.
- Assist the treasury manager with raising funds, cash management and acquiring and disposing of assets.
- Deliver trust services, financial products and advice to bank customers.
- Evaluate and recommend approval of loan application for business and individuals.
Graduates with finance degrees work in corporate finance, banking, investments, insurance, real estate and financial advising.
Beyond the classroom
Several student and professional organizations are available to help you make the right contacts in the industry and learn about the latest trends. They include two WMU student clubs: the Financial Management Association and Financial Services Club, as well as the West Michigan Chartered Financial Analyst Society, Society of Financial Service Professionals and Financial Planning Association.
After you graduate
Recent WMU graduates with degrees in finance are working as:
- Credit analysts
- Financial analysts
- Financial advisors
- Insurance agents
- Insurance claims professionals
- Treasury management professionals
- Loan officers
- Mortgage loan officers
- Residential real estate agents and brokers
- Commercial real estate sales and agents
- Real estate appraisers
- Real estate advisors
- Credit managers
Among the companies they work for are:
- Hinman Company
- Greenleaf Trust
- LVM Capital Management
- Whirlpool Corporation
- Zhang Financial
- Hantz Group
- First Investors Corp.
- Origen Financial LLC
- JP Morgan Chase
- General Electric
- PNC Bank
- First National Bank of Michigan
- Fifth Third Bank
- Consumers Credit Union
- Liberty Mutual
- Kellogg Company
- Waddell and Reed
- Comerica Bank
- Quicken Loans
- State Farm Insurance
Where is this program offered?