The Specialty Program in Alcohol and Drug Abuse at Western Michigan University is the first of its kind in Michigan and the first university-based training clinic in Michigan to address substance use disorders.
Our faculty have been preparing professionals in the substance abuse field since 1973. The Specialty Program in Alcohol and Drug Abuse education and field practicum experience assists individuals who choose our program to pursue credentials in the field through undergraduate and graduate studies. The program is exceptional and accessible.
- Our faculty members—seasoned researchers and practitioners—share their knowledge in ways that enhance students' learning experiences.
- The state of the art, evidence-based theories and techniques presented prepare students for state and national certifications.
- Faculty-student research teams engage in basic and applied research and quickly transfer results to practice. In this way, our students directly impact the quality of work in the profession.
- Our graduate certificate is offered on the WMU's campus in Kalamazoo, Michigan; worldwide through WMU’s Online Education program and at WMU regional locations in Grand Rapids and Traverse City.
- Our undergraduate program is offered on the main WMU campus and worldwide through WMU's Online Education program.
- Undergraduate and graduate practicums are available at various training clinics throughout Michigan and at other national and international sites.
We welcome your inquiry and interest in WMU's Specialty Program in Alcohol and Drug Abuse. Please browse this site and contact us for further information.