By the year 2024, Western Michigan University plans to re-imagine the southern portion of main campus, including a new student center and several other major building efforts. The new student center, located at the former site of McCracken Hall, will serve as an anchor at the northwestern edge of the larger Hilltop Commons development. McCracken Hall was demolished over the Summer of 2019 to provide a clean slate for the construction of this unique new facility.
WMU has partnered with CannonDesign, a leader in higher education facilities and student centers to design the new building, which will include:
- Information and Welcome CenterStudent Organization Support
- Student Support Services
- Affinity Spaces
- Lounges/Flexible Space
- Meeting Spaces
- Retail Shops/Food Service
- Student Meal Plan Food Service/Dining
GOALS OF THE PROJECT
- Student focused
- Innovative, flexible design
- Encourage social engagement
- Architecturally distinctive and iconic
- Minimum LEED Silver certified
- Source of pride and tradition
- THE community center, hang-out, WMU’s living room
- Provide leadership development and co-curricular education
- A unifying force that honors each individual and values diversity
VIRTUAL REALITY BUILDING TOUR
The new Student Center virtual reality tour is now available for viewing at the VR Lab in the lower level of Waldo Library. The lab is open week days and most evenings. Check it out!
Can't get the VR lab? Try this video walk-through!
Check out our live view of the construction site!
Questions regarding the Student Center and Dining Facilities project should be directed to Barb Vader, Project Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org.