COVID-19 UPDATE: As of May 11, 2020, construction on some projects on WMU’s campus have resumed. Construction teams are following all workplace safeguards as outlined in the Governor’s latest Executive Order.
By the year 2024, Western Michigan University plans to re-imagine the southern portion of main campus, including a new student center and several other major building efforts. The new student center, located at the former site of McCracken Hall, will serve as an anchor at the northwestern edge of the larger Hilltop Village development. McCracken Hall was demolished over the Summer of 2019 to provide a clean slate for the construction of this unique new facility.
WMU has partnered with CannonDesign, a leader in higher education facilities and student centers to design the new building, which will include:
- Information and Welcome Center
- Student Organization Support
- Student Support Services
- Affinity Spaces
- Lounges/Flexible Space
- Meeting Spaces
- Retail Shops/Food Service
- Student Meal Plan Food Service/Dining
The project is planned to be completed in August 2022.
View from West Michigan Avenue Mall
"Cedar Heart" Gathering Stair
Transformer Lounge/Dining area on Level 3
GOALS OF THE PROJECT
- Student focused
- Innovative, flexible design
- Encourage social engagement
- Architecturally distinctive and iconic
- Minimum LEED Silver certified
- Source of pride and tradition
- THE community center, hang-out, WMU’s living room
- Provide leadership development and co-curricular education
- A unifying force that honors each individual and values diversity
VIRTUAL REALITY BUILDING TOUR
The new Student Center virtual reality tour is now available for viewing at the VR Lab in the lower level of Waldo Library. The lab is open week days and most evenings. Check it out!
Here is a link to a video walk-thru from the VR model: https://youtu.be/XF738Jv79jc
See a live view of the construction site for the Student Center and Arcadia Flats projects
Site LogisticS Plan- McCracken Demolition and New Building Construction