Professional guest artists
Western Michigan University’s Department of Dance is committed to connecting students with dance professionals who:
- Create new works for students to perform
- Instruct technique and creative classes
- Restage masterworks of choreography for the Great Works Dance Project
- Prepare individual dancers for auditions in their professional career
- Share their experiences and insight through presentations and discussions with students'
2017-2018 Guest Artists Include
Taylor 2 - PTAMD, Paul Taylor's second company.
Christian Denice, Chicago based choreographer
Brendan Duggan, Artistic Director, Loud Hound Movement
Melanie George, Choreographer, Dramaturg, Educator, Scholar
Claudia Queen, Award-winning composer, multi-instrumentalist musician for dance.
Previous Guest Artist Residencies
Arturo Fernandez, Ballet Master of Alonzo King LINES Ballet, discusses staging of the contemporary work "Koto":
Interested in seeing more documentary features with our Guest Artists? Check out the WMU Dance You Tube Channel.
Frank Chaves working with WMU dancers while in residency setting his work "Temporal Trance".
Prior Guest Artists include:
- Robert Battle, Artistic Director of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater
- Frank Chaves, Founder and Artistic Director of River North Dance Chicago
- Peter Chu, Founder and Artistic Director of Chuthis
- Lou Conte, Founder of Hubbard Street Dance Chicago
- DanceWorks Chicago
- Ron De Jesus, Founder and Artistic Director of Ron De Jesus Dance
- George Faison, Founder of the George Faison Universal Dance Experience
- Arturo Fernandez, Ballet Master for Alonzo King LINES Ballet
- John Gardner, Soloist with American Ballet Theater
- Gina Gibney, Founder and Artistic Director of Gibney Dance
- Erick Hawkins, Founder and Artistic Director of Erick Hawkins Dance Company
- Murray Louis, Founder and Artistic Director of Murray Louis Dance Company
- Donald McKayle, Founder and Artistic Director of Donald McKayle and Dancers
- Amanda McKerrow, Soloist with American Ballet Theater
- Sulamith Messerer, Ballet Mistress for Bolshoi Ballet
- Daniel Nagrin, Founder of Dance-Percussion Trio and Tamiris-Nagrin Company
- Alwin Nikolais, Founder and Artistic Director of Alwin Nikolais Dance Theater
- Billy Siegenfeld, Founder and Artistic Director of Jump Rhythm Jazz Project
- Jurgen Schneider, Ballet Master for American Ballet Theatre
- Willy Shives, Artistic Director of San Antonio Ballet
- Leslie Young, Soloist with San Francisco Ballet