The Community Dance Advocacy Award is given annually to honor and celebrate an individual who has demonstrated significant accomplishment in advancing and supporting dance in the greater Kalamazoo area through volunteerism, philanthropy, artistic achievement, teaching and administrative leadership.
- Any individual who has demonstrated significant accomplishment in advancing and supporting dance in the greater Kalamazoo area.
- Current members of the Partners in Dance board of directors are not eligible.
Anyone may submit nominations by:
- Nominations may be submitted at any time. Nominations for the 2020 award must be received by Monday, October 28, 2019. Nominating materials may be dropped off in the Department of Dance, mailed to the Department of Dance, or emailed to Department Chair, Megan Slayter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nomination materials will be kept for reconsideration for three years—no materials will be returned to the nominator.
- Providing a one-page summary statement describing the significant accomplishments
of the person being nominated.
- Providing up to five pages of supporting materials.
Members of the Partners in Dance Community Dance Advocacy Award Committee will review all nominations and make a recommendation to the Partners in Dance Executive Committee. The final selection will be approved by the full Partners in Dance board of directors.
The award will be presented annually. The recipient will be honored at a prominent Partners in Dance event, usually the Great Works Dance Project Dinner held in late January or early February.
The award will include the following:
- A plaque engraved with the recipient's name and date of award.
- Free membership in Partners in Dance for one year.
- Name and year engraved on a plaque in the WMU Department of Dance office.
- Two complimentary tickets to WMU Department of Dance sponsored dance concerts for one year.
Past recipients of the Community Dance Advocacy Award are:
- Jane Baas, 2019
- Wendy Cornish, 2018
- Debra Norton, 2017
- Cathleen Huling, 2016
- Patricia Plasko, 2015
- Nancy Ehrle, 2014
- Judah Gesmundo, 2014
- Diana Hart Johnson, 2013
- Jerrold T. French, 2012
- Clara Gamble, 2011
- Kathryn Williams, 2011
- Lindsey Canfield Thomas (awarded posthumously), 2010
- Dorothy Giovannini, 2010
- Therese Bullard, 2009
- Cori Terry, 2008
- Jerre Locke James, 2007