To graduate from the Lee Honors College at Western Michigan University, students must:
- Complete all requirements as detailed in their original acceptance letter
- Complete and submit the following by the stated deadlines:
- Thesis declaration form.
- Thesis defense certificate request form.
- Graduation audit (will be emailed to your wmich.edu account).
- RSVP survey emailed to your wmich.edu account approximately six (6) weeks prior to graduation. To be listed in the graduation program you must submit your RSVP at least three weeks prior to the graduation ceremony.
- Final approved honors thesis and supporting documentation as outlined in the thesis defense packet. Thesis must be submitted electronically to Jennifer Townsend no later than 30 days after commencement.
The Lee Honors College Graduation ceremony is a celebratory event held on the Friday evening prior to Western Michigan University’s fall and spring commencement ceremonies. Summer graduates may participate in the spring honors college ceremony. Business attire is appropriate; regalia should not be worn to the honors college ceremony. During the ceremony, you will receive your honors college cords and graduation certificate. The cording ceremony is a special part of the Lee Honors College graduation during which you may recognize someone who has significantly contributed to your success at WMU by asking him or her to be your corder. Your corder comes forward during the ceremony to place honors cords on you. The honors college graduation generally begins with a 5 p.m. reception, followed at 5:30 p.m. by the formal ceremony.
Ceremony information for families and friends
We hope you will join us in celebrating your graduate’s success. Important parking information and directions to the ceremony will be provided to each graduate via their wmich.edu email account after they RSVP for the graduation ceremony. If you have any questions that were not answered in the RSVP information, please contact Jennifer Clements via email or call (269) 387-3230. We look forward to seeing you there!
Diplomas and transcripts:
Please note that COVID-19 has delayed processing of grads. All graduates must have their degree awarded by WMU prior to honors college graduation status being processed and added to the diploma and transcript. It is standard practice to receive an original diploma without the honors college designation soon after commencement and then to receive a second diploma with the honors college designation 45 to 60 days after commencement. Please contact your honors college academic advisor if you have not received a diploma noting honors college graduation and/or do not see the honors college thesis and graduation information on your transcript more than 60 days after your WMU degree has been awarded.