Certain retirees of Western Michigan University (WMU) are eligible for the retiree health plan which includes medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage.
For Medicare eligible retirees, the WMU retiree health plan is secondary to Medicare and those enrolled in the plan must be enrolled in Medicare parts A and B. This plan does not require Medicare part D enrollment because creditable prescription drug coverage is included with the retiree health plan. Upon receiving Medicare eligibility, retirees covered on the WMU retiree health plan should submit a copy of their Medicare card to WMU Human Resources to ensure accurate claim payment by Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
Health care at a glance
View your current open enrollment guide for highlights of your retiree health plan coverage.
- AAUP and Non-Bargaining Employee Group Retirees and Surviving Spouses: 2021 Know Your Benefits guide
- AFSCME Retirees and Surviving Spouses: 2021 Know Your Benefits guide
Health plan contributions
BCBSM Community blue PPO 100/0 and 90/10 Coinsurance
The Community Blue preferred provider organization (PPO) health plan is administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
BCBSM PPO provider details - Find network providers, access helpful pharmacy information, explore on-campus health care options, and obtain claim forms for submission.
PPO Benefits-at-a-Glance - A general overview of your medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision plan.
- AAUP and Non-Bargaining Retirees and Surviving Spouses - Pre-Medicare
- AAUP and Non-Bargaining Retirees and Surviving Spouses - With Medicare
- AFSCME Retirees and Surviving Spouses - Pre-Medicare
- AFSCME Retirees and Surviving Spouses - With Medicare
PPO Summary of Benefits and Coverage - A summary showing how you and the plan share the cost of covered health care services.
blue cross blue shield of Michigan (bcbsm) dental ppo and Vision Service Plan (VSP)
You are required to remove dependents from your coverage due to certain qualifying events such as divorce or death of a spouse, child or Designated Eligible Individual.
- Benefit Notices
- Common benefits language - Get help understanding the common terms of health care and how your plan works.