Other Benefits

Policies and Procedures Manual Section 17

Flexible spending accounts

Western Michigan University offers employees two plans designed to help you meet health care and dependent care expenses using tax-free dollars.

  • Health care flexible spending account
  • Dependent care flexible spending account

Information on both plans is available at Flexible Spending Plans, Employee Handbook Section 13.

Release time partnering

Information about release time partnering is available at Personal Health, Employee Handbook Section 16.

Bronco identification cards

The University provides all employees with a Western Michigan University identification card. Questions regarding the issuance of identification cards should be addressed to the Bronco Card Center.

  • Eligibility. Employees who are appointed to regular (continuing and terminal), full-time or part-time position, will receive a Bronco Card indicating faculty/staff status. Temporary faculty/staff receive an identification card indicating temporary status. These cards are valid only for the period of the temporary appointment.
  • Benefits and services. Presentation of a University Bronco Card is required in order to obtain certain benefits and services. A faculty/staff card may be used to obtain a parking permit; bookstore, athletic, and cultural event discounts; use of the Sindecuse Health Center and pharmacy, University facilities, and library facilities/services.


  • Obtaining a Bronco card. Supervisors should bring or send new employees to obtain a Bronco Card at the Bronco Card Center. Employees should bring with them a photo ID (such as a driver's license) and a copy of their Appointment form. This should be done on the employee's first day of employment or as soon as possible thereafter.
  • Lost or stolen Bronco Cards. Lost or stolen Bronco Cards should be reported immediately to Public Safety. Cards will be replaced upon request.
  • Separation. Employees who separate from the University must relinquish their Bronco Card. The supervisor should collect and destroy the employee's Bronco Card on the employee's last day of employment. However, if a Human Resources representative is administering the separation, the representative will collect and destroy the employee's Bronco Card.

Parking permits

Information about parking permits is available at Other Benefits and Services, Employee Handbook Section 17.


  1. Parking permits should be obtained as soon as possible after employment begins.
  2. To secure a parking permit, new employees are required to present their valid Bronco Card (employee I.D. card) or a copy of their hiring paperwork (e.g., appointment form), driver's license, and automobile registration to Parking Services. Permits must be renewed each year and may be renewed in person, by mail, or at Parking Services.
  3. Detailed parking rules and regulations are available at Parking Services. Employees are expected to be familiar with these rules.

<back   next>