Western Michigan University's Soga Japan Center is an interdisciplinary unit designed to promote knowledge of Japan to the WMU community, the city of Kalamazoo and all of southwestern Michigan. The Soga Japan Center regularly brings scholars, artists and writers to campus to give Japan-related lectures, demonstrations and readings to students, faculty and the surrounding community. The Soga Japan Center also hosts film series, displays, musical performances and other fun events related to Japanese culture.
曽我日本センターは異なる学問分野を統合した組織であり、学内やカラマズー市のみに限定せず、ミシガン州南西部地域に幅広く、日本研究の知識を総合的に広 めることを目的としています。センターは研究者、芸術家、作家等を定期的に大学に招き、学生・教員・一般聴衆を対象に、日本研究に関連した講義・講演・読 書会を開催しています。また、センターは映画上映会・コンサート・展示会など日本文化を楽しみながら経験出来るような行事を定期的に開催しています。
The Soga Japan Center at Western Michigan University commits itself to advancing knowledge of Japanese history, culture, business, science and technology. The center does this by:
- Enriching the understanding of Japanese history, language and culture by hosting and organizing Japanese-related lectures, readings, festivals, films and performances.
- Supporting exchange students from Japan as well as WMU students who want to pursue Japanese studies or study abroad in Japan.
- Organizing outreach activities that promote Japanese culture, society and language in local community settings.
- Promoting and disseminating faculty and student research on Japan.
- Facilitating effective learning experiences, instructional strategies and scholarly inquiries.
- Fostering exchange between the United States and Japan.