The most prestigious merit-based scholarships offered to incoming first-year students are earned by competing through the Medallion Scholarship program. Qualified high school seniors who meet all eligibility criteria by the priority scholarship application deadline will receive an invitation to register for the on-campus competition. Students must participate in the on-campus competition day for scholarship consideration.
No additional scholarship application is required. The Office of Admissions will automatically consider all entering freshmen for this scholarship and invite all eligible students to compete in the competition day.
The competition for the Medallion Scholarship occurs in two phases: (1) all qualified, invited, and registered students participate in the on-campus competition day, and (2) up to 60 students will be invited to participate in an interview with the scholarship committee as finalists. Finalists are awarded one of the two scholarship levels.
Saturday, December 7, 2019 or Friday and Saturday, January 10-11, 2020
On-campus competition day. Competitors register for one of these date options via the registration link provided in the competition invitation. The competition consists of group problem solving sessions, the student's extracurricular activities as provided in their admissions application, and short introductory video. Also considered are the student's standardized test score and weighted high school GPA. A link to the video submission form will arrive with your registration confirmation. Participants should submit this form prior to the competition day.
Finalist interview dates TBD
Interview dates for competition finalists. Participation by invitation only.
Qualified high schools seniors are eligible to compete for the most prestigious academic scholarship at WMU. For consideration, students must submit the following by the Early Action deadline of November 15* of their senior year:
- Completed WMU admission application
- 3.7+ cumulative GPA (weighted) at the end of junior year of high school.
- 1230+ redesigned SAT or 26+ ACT by the application deadline.
*Deadline is extended to next business day if published date occurs over the weekend.
$60,000 total award ($15,000 per year for four years). Awarded to approximately 20 competitors annually.
Bronco Merit Scholarship
All students who attend the competition will receive the Bronco Merit Award (see below). Up to 60 students will be selected to continue in the process, resulting in higher award amounts.
Award Details and Renewal Criteria
- Actively participate as a member of the Lee Honors College and the Medallion class as well as serve as an ambassador for the college and university.
- Paid in equal amounts, fall and spring only.
- Enroll fall term immediately after high school graduation.
- Medallion scholars enrolled prior to fall 2019 must enroll in at least 12 credit hours each fall and spring semester.
- Must earn and maintain a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA after enrolling at Western Michigan University.
- Merit-based and renewable for up to eight consecutive semesters of undergraduate study, or until graduation requirements are met, whichever occurs first.
- Students entering fall 2019 must earn 28 credit hours per academic year, no minimum credits per semester.
- Renewal maintenance will be considered at the end of the summer terms before awards disburse for the following academic year.