About the Fall 2022 Medallion Scholarship Program
WMU seeks to find a cohort of Medallion scholars who stand out among their peers. Medallion scholars are leaders both inside and outside of the classroom. Scholars demonstrate outstanding academic performance during high school, leadership, and a commitment to making the world a better place. Students are selected through a competitive, holistic review of the admissions application file.† No additional scholarship application is required.
The Medallion Scholarship is WMU’s most prestigious merit-based scholarship offered to incoming first-year students. As of fall 2022*, the Medallion Scholarship is valued at approximately $89,400 over the course of four years. This includes:
- Up to $16,000 per year (for four years) for tuition and fees
- An on-campus housing scholarship of up to $5,600 per year (for four years)
- A one-time engagement scholarship of up to $3,000 to help fund either study abroad or research
- Information in the admission application is used in Medallion Scholarship selection. This includes, but is not limited to, extracurricular activities, honors and awards, essay and/or personal statement, and letters of recommendation. Make sure to fully complete all areas of the admission application to maximize your consideration. No additional scholarship application is required.
- Must be a first-year student enrolling in fall 2022.
- Students must submit a complete admission application file† by the Early Action deadline of December 15, 2021.
- Up to 60 semifinalists will be selected to participate in an interview to select up to 20 Medallion Scholars. Semifinalists will be notified in February 2022.
The Medallion Scholarship is merit-based and renewable for up to eight consecutive fall/spring semesters of undergraduate study, or until graduation requirements are met, whichever occurs first. If Medallion Scholars complete an undergraduate degree in less than four years, they may petition the dean of the Lee Honors College to use remaining funds toward graduate study at WMU. To use these funds for graduate study, the student must either have been accepted and enrolled in a WMU accelerated graduate degree program or been accepted and enrolled full‐time in a WMU graduate degree program beginning in the fall or spring semester immediately following completion of their undergraduate degree. The housing and engagement scholarship may not be applied toward graduate study.
Scholarship consideration is based on the transcript GPA at the time of admission on a 4.00 scale. Transcript GPAs that are not on a 4.00 scale will be recalculated accordingly. Students awarded more than one Office of Admissions scholarship will be awarded the scholarship of highest value. Awards are subject to change.
*This award amount only applies to Medallion Scholarship recipients entering WMU in Fall 2022 and beyond.
†A complete admission application file includes: application (Common App including WMU supplement), official high school transcripts and $40 application fee or fee waiver. Students who wish for an ACT/SAT score to be considered in review must self-report their score on the admission app. Students interested in Aviation Flight Science must complete their admission application by the Early Action deadline.
The housing scholarship amount is based on the rate of a double occupancy, suite-style room (currently $5,600 annually). If a scholar elects to live in a different on-campus option, they will be charged the difference in amount**. In order to qualify for the room portion of the scholarship, scholars must remain in good standing with residence life and WMU’s student code of conduct. If a scholar elects to live off campus, they will not receive the housing scholarship portion of the Medallion package.
Scholars must develop a budget for the engagement stipend scholarship and work in collaboration with the Lee Honors College to secure funding. Any stipend funding that is not used or needed will not be credited to a student account.
**Example of housing cost calculation:
- Western Heights Double Room with Bronco Gold Plus meal plan - $11,858.00 (annual)
- Rate of Double Occupancy Suite-Style Room - $5,557.00 (annual)
- Remaining balance to be charged - $6,301 (annual)