A limited number of seminar scholarships are awarded directly from Western Michigan University's School of Music. Scholarship amounts begin at $150. These are awarded based on the recorded audition required for acceptance, so each applicant is automatically considered.
Under normal circumstances, Seminar initially reserves its scholarship funds for students who are not receiving significant help from other sources. Significant help is considered to be one-third or more of the total tuition. Applicants are asked to provide a summary of their scholarship assistance as part of the application process. We rely on an honor system to keep us informed as this information changes.
If a student with a Seminar scholarship awarded by WMU eventually accumulates scholarships from other sources, the sum of which exceeds the total amount due, we reserve the right to reduce the amount of our scholarship. Seminar scholarship funds from WMU may not be applied to the deposit.
Due to the complex and sometimes personal circumstances surrounding each scholarship decision, we treat our scholarship list as confidential information. Students awarded a Seminar scholarship from WMU are also asked to treat the amount of that scholarship as confidential information.
Seminar students often qualify for scholarships from other organizations. We encourage students to actively pursue sources of assistance. A sample of past granters of tuition assistance appears below. Please note: The organizations listed below are in no way associated with Western Michigan University or Seminar. Their inclusion in the list below is not a guarantee of scholarships. Pay close attention to each scholarship's requirements and deadlines. Promptly report any non-WMU scholarships or awards you receive.
- Allegan Area Arts Council
- Allegan County Community Foundation
- Battle Creek Community Foundation
- Benzi Choral Boosters
- Benzi Community Chorus
- Capital Region Community Foundation
- Communities in Schools of Kalamazoo
- Dexter Community Schools
- Education Foundation of Greenville
- Elizabeth Ruthruff Wilson Foundation
- Gratiot County Community Foundation
- Haslett Choir Boosters
- Holland Christian Schools Boosters
- Kalamazoo Junior Symphony Orchestra
- Kalamazoo Regional Educational Service Agency (KRESA)
- Lake Michigan Youth Orchestra
- Lakeshore Excellence Foundation
- Lenawee Country Educational Foundation
- Monday Musical Club of Southwestern Michigan
- Niles Service League
- Plainwell Schools Band Boosters
- Port Huron Musicale
- Saint Joseph Band and Orchestra Parent Association
- Saline Area Schools
- Tuesday Musicale of Jackson, Michigan
- Ukranian Music Institute of America, Inc. Detroit Branch
- West Ottawa Music Boosters
- Wild Rose Society
Please have scholarship checks mailed to the address below:
Seminar Music Camp
Attn: David Bernard, Seminar Registrar
School of Music
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5434 USA