The Department of Psychology at Western Michigan University uses the graduate online application process. If you have questions about the application process, contact Kaycie Ohmart, the graduate training administrative assistant.
Specific program information
For those in the Metro Detroit region, application materials for the WMU-Metro Detroit cohort online behavioral analysis master's program are due by Sept. 15 for spring (January) admission.
Applicants are asked to include some program-specific information:
- Master of Arts in psychology: behavior analysis
- Master of Arts in psychology: industrial organizational behavior management
- Doctor of Philosophy in psychology: behavior analysis
- Doctor of Philosophy in psychology: clinical psychology
- Doctor of Philosophy in psychology: industrial organizational behavior management
Applicants are encouraged to bookmark this information for quick reference while working through the graduate application process.
In preparation for applying, the following material will need to be gathered:
- All official transcripts from any college or university attended.
- GRE general test scores using the following codes:
- Institution code: 1902.
- Psychology code: no code.
- For the clinical program only: The psychology subject test is optional for fall 2018 but is required beginning fall 2019)
- Personal Statement (submitted through online application)
- Curriculum Vitae (submitted through online application)
- Three letters of recommendation (submitted through online application)
- Supplemental Application (submitted through online application)
- For international students, TOEL or IETLS scores.
Application materials are due by Dec. 1 for fall admission.
How students are admitted?
Students are admitted by the psychology faculty. Many aspects of a student’s background are considered when admissions decisions are made including GRE scores, GPA, letters of reference, research and work experience, social and professional skills, and the extent to which the interests of the applicants match the program’s offerings and strengths.
What are the average GREs and average GPAs of students who are admitted the program?
We only require the verbal and quantitative sections of the GREs. Over the past 5 years, the average combined verbal and quantitative GRE score of admitted students was 1100. The average GPA of admitted students (on a 4 point scale) was 3.65.
Is the psychology GRE subject test required for admission?
The subject test is recommended for the clinical program for the fall 2018 admissions, but will be required beginning for the fall 2019 admission and beyond. All other programs require only the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE.
I took the GRE more than. Will you take the best of all my scores?
Yes. We will take the best GRE score across all tests as long as they were sent to WMU.
How do letters of recommendations work and how are they submitted?
Applicants will provide contact information for the letter writer and the application system will send an email request to them directly; everything is requested and submitted online. Applicants do not need to wait until letters have been returned to WMU to submit their application,
Do I need to list a faculty member on the supplemental application?
Yes. Applications are reviewed by faculty based on who is applying with them. It is very important that applicants indicate at least one faculty on their supplemental application.
Will my graduate level credits transfer to WMU from another university?
Transferring courses from another university is discussed with the faculty advisor before they are submitted to the instructor and department for approval. We do not transfer in courses before applicants have been been admitted.
Should I visit WMU while applying?
If you would like to know more about the program and/or interact with faculty members prior to applying, then it is a good idea to visit WMU. However, it is not necessary. During the admissions process, we will contact you and invite you for an interview if you are being considered for admission. It is very important that you attend this interview, if you are invited.
When will I know if I have been accepted?
Letters notifying applicants of their status are sent by April 15.