The most prestigious merit-based scholarships offered to incoming first-year students are earned by competing through the Medallion Scholarship program. Qualified high school seniors who meet all eligibility criteria by the priority scholarship application deadline will receive an invitation to register for the on-campus competition. Students must participate in the on-campus competition day for scholarship consideration.
No additional scholarship application is required. The Office of Admissions will automatically consider all entering freshmen for this scholarship and invite all eligible students to compete in the competition day.
The competition for the Medallion Scholarship occurs in two phases: (1) all qualified, invited, and registered students participate in the on-campus competition day, and (2) up to 45 students from the competition day are invited back to campus for an interview with the scholarship committee as finalists. Finalists are awarded one of the two scholarship levels.
Friday, November 30, or Saturday, December 1, 2018
On-campus competition day. Competitors register for one of these date options via the registration link provided in the competition invitation. The competition consists of an essay portion, group problem solving session, and an evaluation of a student's activity resume and short introductory video. Also considered are the student's standardized test score and weighted high school GPA. A link to the activity resume and video submission form will arrive with your registration confirmation. Participants should submit this form prior to the competition day.
Friday, January 18, and Saturday, January 19, 2019
Interview dates for competition finalists. Participation by invitation only.
Qualified high schools seniors are eligible to compete for the most prestigious academic scholarship at WMU. For consideration, students must submit the following by November 1* of their senior year:
- Completed WMU admission application
- 3.7+ cumulative GPA (weighted) at the end of junior year of high school
- 1240+ redesigned SAT or 1170+ old SAT or 26+ ACT by the application deadline
*Deadline is extended to next business day if published date occurs over the weekend.
$60,000 total award ($15,000 per year for four years). Awarded to approximately 20 competitors annually.
President's Academic Excellence Scholarship
$25,000 total award ($5,000 per academic year(s) 1 and 2; $7,500 per academic year(s) 3 and 4). Awarded to approximately 40 competitors, who were invited and participated in the interview round (finalist), but did not receive the Medallion Scholarship.
Bronco Merit Scholarship
All students participating in the on-campus Medallion Scholarship Competition will receive, at minimum, a Bronco Merit Scholarship worth $10,000 ($2,500 per year for four years).
Award Details and Renewal Criteria
- Actively participate as a member of the Lee Honors College and the Medallion class as well as serve as an ambassador for the college and university.
- Paid in equal amounts, fall and spring only
- Enroll fall term immediately after high school graduation
- Must enroll in at least 12 credit hours each fall and spring semester
- Must earn and maintain a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA after enrolling at Western Michigan University
- Merit-based and renewable for up to eight consecutive semesters of undergraduate study, or until graduation requirements are met, whichever occurs first.