The Department of Psychology at Western Michigan University uses the graduate online application process. If you have questions about the application process, contact Amber Hutson, the graduate training administrative assistant.
Specific program information
Checklists are provided to help guide application preparation but are not required as part of the online submission.
- Behavior analysis checklist
- Clinical psychology checklist
- Industrial organizational behavior management checklist
In preparation for applying, the following material will need to be gathered:
- All official transcripts from any college or university attended.
- GRE information: Minimum scores corresponding to the 50th percentile on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE. Each program has different requirements:
- Behavior Analysis: The GRE is recommended, but not required for the master’s program permanently and the doctoral program for the 2022-23 admissions cycle only.
- Clinical Psychology: The GRE is recommended, but not required for the doctoral program for the 2022-23 admissions cycle.
- Industrial Organizational Behavior Management: The GRE is required for both the master’s and doctoral program.
- Personal Statement (submitted through online application)
- Curriculum Vitae (submitted through online application)
- Three letters of recommendation (submitted through online application)
- Written sample (required only for the clinical program)
- Supplemental Application (submitted through online application)
- For international students, TOEL or IETLS scores.
Applications for the Behavior Analysis program are considered for admissions for summer II or fall only. The departmental application for the Ph.D. and M.A. program is Nov. 1.
Applications for the M.A. program will be considered after the Nov. 1 (priority deadline) as follows:
- The preferred review deadline is Jan. 15. Interviews may be scheduled in mid to late February.
- The standard review deadline is March 1. Interviews may be scheduled in late March.
*Admissions to the M.A. program will be made until the cohort is at capacity. Priority review will be given to those who met the initial application deadline.
Application materials for main campus programs are due by Dec. 1.
- Given COVID considerations, applications for clinical psychology will be considered after this due date through April 1 and are encouraged. Admissions will be made until the cohort is at capacity. Priority review will be given to those who met the initial application deadline.
Industrial Organizational Behavior Management
Application materials for main campus programs are due by Nov. 1 for fall admission for the Industrial Organizational Behavior Management programs.
How students are admitted?
Students are admitted by the psychology faculty. Many aspects of a student’s background are considered when admissions decisions are made including GRE scores, GPA, letters of reference, research and work experience, social and professional skills, and the extent to which the interests of the applicants match the program’s offerings and strengths.
What are the average GREs and average GPAs of students who are admitted the program?
We only require the verbal and quantitative sections of the GREs for the program that require the test. Programs like to see test scores in the top 50th percentile. The average GPA of admitted students (on a 4 point scale) was 3.65.
Is the psychology GRE subject test required for admission?
The subject test is not required for any program within the Department of Psychology.
I took the GRE more than once. Will you take the best of all my scores?
Yes. We will take the best GRE score across all tests as long as they were sent to WMU.
How do letters of recommendations work and how are they submitted?
Applicants will provide contact information for the letter writer and the application system will send an email request to them directly; everything is requested and submitted online. Applicants do not need to wait until letters have been returned to WMU to submit their application,
Do I need to list a faculty member on the supplemental application?
Yes. Applications are reviewed by faculty based on who is applying with them. It is very important that applicants indicate at least one faculty on their supplemental application.
Will my graduate level credits transfer to WMU from another university?
Transferring courses from another university is discussed with the faculty advisor before they are submitted to the instructor and department for approval. We do not transfer in courses before applicants have been been admitted.
Should I visit WMU while applying?
If you would like to know more about the program and/or interact with faculty members prior to applying, then it is a good idea to visit WMU. However, it is not necessary. During the admissions process, we will contact you and invite you for an interview if you are being considered for admission. It is very important that you attend this interview, if you are invited.
When will I know if I have been accepted?
Letters notifying applicants of their status are sent by April 15.