What do public health educators do?
- Prevent diseases like cancer, heart disease, obesity and diabetes
- Change people's behavior so they stop smoking, abusing alcohol and drugs, engaging in unprotected sex, bullying others, putting themselves at risk to HIV, eating unhealthy, drinking lead-tainted water, leading an inactive lifestyle and other health behaviors
- Work to pass laws, like the "no smoking in places where people work" law in Michigan, in order to protect lives
- Work with media and social media to deliver health messages to populations at greatest risk
- Increase access to health services, regardless of race, gender or any other factor that would discriminate one from living a long and high quality life
Where do public health educators work?
- Health departments
- Non-profit agencies like American Heart Association, Planned Parenthood and community drug prevention agencies
- Hospital education and outreach centers
- Corporate worksites
- Health insurance organizations, like Blue Care Network
How much do public health professionals earn?
- The starting salary is anywhere from $35,000-$55,000, depending on agency and type of job. The average in Michigan is about $40,000-$45,000.
Are jobs available?
- Yes! In fact the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics identified "health educator" as a career expected to increase 12% between 2014 and 2024.
What jobs are available?
|Public health educator||Health educator|
|Health education specialist||Epidemiologist|
|Nutrition educator||Community health educator|
|Health education coordinator||HIV prevention coordinator|
|Worksite health promotion specialist||Health promotion coordinator|
|Certified health and wellness coach||Sexuality educator|
|Behavioral health education specialist||Injury prevention coordinator|
|Substance abuse prevention specialist||Tobacco treatment counselor|
|Wellness account manager||Wellness program specialist|
|Patient program coordinator||Community outreach manager|
|Community initiatives coordinator||Community educator|
|Youth/family program coordinator||Sexual violence prevention coordinator|
|Event specialist||Community development director|