How Covid-19 Has Affected College Students Emotionally And Spiritually

Posted by Kamya Haneline on

In 2019 around October I would always look outside my window and see the different leaves changing colors. I would go outside with my friends to take photos of the different trees and the nature in general. This was my favorite thing to do during the beginning of fall. I would have never guessed missing this moment until 2020 October came along. I ask myself and you this question: Did you ever think you would be a college student during a pandemic? How can we interactive with each other and still be healthy and safe. During this blog I will explain a little background on COVID-19, how it influences wellness (e.g., emotionally, spiritually), my experiences during this time, and how you can be safe and feel optimistic during this time.

The two images above are examples before COVID. For example, we used to be close to friends hanging out with each other. The two images below are examples post-COVID. COVID took away our fun. Now it is a different environment where we have to wear masks, social distance, and put hand sanitizer on making our hands dry and ashy. Here is a little information about COVID-19.

This year of 2020 started off with people living their lives and doing their day to day routines until March 2020. In March, a pandemic started making each person go through different emotions including stress, depression, fear, and uncertainty. This monster is called COVID-19 making us wear masks, social distance. We also had to follow a stay-at-home order. At first, I said to myself each day that this mask is ugly. It was new to me and somewhat difficult to breathe. However, I understood it was important and for our safety. Some advice is to not eat anything that has onions or garlic in it because it will be tragic with the mask. Presenting the garlic face mask.

I would have never thought being around other humans can affect me to catching a deadly virus. I want to target our college students who have been affected emotionally and spiritually during this pandemic. I know how it is being in college during this time where you feel isolated, stressed, and alone, but trying to focus on school. Not being able to interact with others can affect a person's mental health. Everything has been switched to online, which is a safer approach, but what about the students who do not have access to computers or have a poor internet connection

In a CDC mental health survey of 18- to 24-year-olds in late June 2020, 25.5% reported contemplating self-harm in the 30 days before completing the survey and 62.9% reported experiencing symptoms of anxiety and depression (Nayak, 2020). This is because of the loneliness and toxic environment students are placed in because of being home and lack of interaction. College students have to do most of their work virtually. For some, this can be new, challenging, frustrating and/or stressful. I know my living area is so loud I was going “nuts” and felt like the room was so close. With campuses canceling most activities, students are currently lacking the college experiences which can lead to boredom. The campus activities and events kept you busy, but now it is a feeling of being lost. According to recent research, the “rate of depression has also soared among young adults, leaving experts worried that this generation is at serious risk for chronic problems” (Nayak, 2020).

During this pandemic, I personally got more connected spiritually to God. I learned to read my bible more and believe everything is going to be OK. I cannot stress or be fearful if I know I am a child of God. College students can watch online church services through YouTube or on campus if it is available. It is always good to have support available to students like counselors, friends, and family that you can reach out to, so you never feel alone. 

Ways to Improve Your Feelings

Here are some ways to help keep optimistic during this time:

• Socialize safely - A little safe interaction will not hurt with your roommate or some close friends. Going out for some fresh air in a local park can cheer you up. Change your routine and environment space while following https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html. Just taking your mind off of the bad more onto the positive side is the key. Watching a movie or even working out can be a simple way of improving your health habits. 
  • Most students lose their faith and get upset about how they are living instead of staying connected to your religion and keeping the faith is helpful to do for yourself. cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0522-cdc-releases-recommendations-faith.html
  • Speak with a support group. Here is a suggested link:

https://www.bark.com/en/us/in/therapy

(424) 227-5323. Keep your head high and your mask even higher on that beautiful face

References

CDC. (n.d.). Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Nayak, A. (2020). There was A college mental health crisis before COVID-19: now it may be worse. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/college-mental-health-covid-19_l_5f60bec1...