Obtain Passport and Visa


Western Michigan University advises students considering study abroad to apply for a passport as soon as they begin a program search. Students who already have a passport need to check the expiration date to ensure it will be valid for a minimum of six months beyond intended stay in the country. Passport processing can take six to eight weeks, so it's important to apply early to ensure it will be available on time for travel abroad.

A United States passport acceptance facility is available at Western Michigan University in the Haenicke Institute for Global Education’s main administrative office in 2425 Ellsworth Hall (second floor). Members of the campus community and the public planning international travel may apply for their passports and have the necessary photos taken ($10; fee waived for WMU students and faculty) required for the application via appointment or during walk-in hours. 

WMU Passport Processing Facility  

Visa and entry documents

Many countries require a visa or residence permit for entry. In cases where a visa or residence permit is required for study abroad, students will need to obtain their passport earlier; a valid passport is required to apply for a visa or residence permit.

WMU Study Abroad recommends that students wishing to travel to countries that require a visa for entry begin the process of securing a passport and the visa several months prior to departure. More information, visit the U.S. Department of State's Student Visa page.