We are not able to provide yellow fever vaccine at this time. Supplies are limited across the United States due to production issues reported by the manufacturer, Sanofi Pasteur. For more information, visit the CDC Traveler's Health web page to search for a clinic that may have vaccine, or call the travel nurse at (269) 387-3298 and leave a message.
The international travel clinic at Sindecuse Health Center provides immunizations and comprehensive education about your destination to enhance your travel experience, maximizing your knowledge and minimizing your risk of disease and illness. Our doors are open to Western Michigan University and the greater Kalamazoo community, for travelers age 12 and older.
To start preparing:
- Apply for your passport as soon as you decide to take your trip.
- Schedule your travel appointment eight weeks prior to travel—call (269) 387-3298.
- Scheduling staff will need information regarding countries you are visiting, departure date, etc., to make your appointment.
- Start a list of your allergies, any current medications you take and a list of current chronic health conditions to bring to your appointment.
About travel appointments:
- Initial appointments are scheduled for 60 minutes.
- Repeat appointments may be necessary for additional immunizations.
- Bring your past immunization records and Bronco ID card (if applicable).
- There is a 20 to 30 minute wait required after all immunizations are administered.
Remember to eat something before the visit if you are receiving vaccinations. If you are late to an appointment it may have to be rescheduled.
During your appointment
- We review your travel itinerary, immunization record, individual health needs and equip you with a personal travel portfolio.
- We advise you on current recommendations and requirements for immunizations.
- We administer immunizations you need and provide International Certificates of Immunization.
- We provide information on treating travel-related illnesses.
Immunizations and vaccines
We are an official Yellow Fever Immunization Center. We can administer all immunizations currently available in the United States. Other immunizations we administer:
- Hepatitis A and B
- Japanese encephalitis
- Measles, mumps and rubella
- Pneumovax (doctor's order needed)
- Tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (Tdap)
- Typhoid oral or injection
- Varicella (chicken pox)
- Shingles (doctor's order needed)
We will also administer TB testing if that is required.
Making an Appointment
Consultations are available Monday through Friday. Call (269) 387-3298 make an appointment or for more information. Please bring the following items to your appointment:
- Your travel itinerary
- Past immunization records
- List of your allergies, current medications and health conditions
Travel consultation appointments are most beneficial when scheduled at least four to six weeks prior to your departure date. This assures adequate time for immunizations to become effective.
We bill for initial and subsequent visits separately from any immunizations administered. You may pay by cash, check or credit card and charges may be applied to your student account. Check with your insurance carrier to see how you may be covered.
Centers for Disease Control Resources
CDC Traveler - use this site to get important information on your destination. Learn about the region's risks and how to protect your health before going there.