Mandated surveillance testing for unvaccinated individuals will be paid for by WMU. Details about how to schedule will be sent to individuals who are required to test.
Have you been asked to quarantine or isolate by a medical professional due to COVID? Read about the University's approach and support system.
The ANTIGEN test
The health center offers rapid-result COVID-19 antigen testing. We provide results within hours for patients with or without symptoms. The antigen test tells whether you have been infected with the Sars-COV2 virus by detecting virus activity with a nasal-swabbed sample. Results are posted in the patient portal or given by phone.
If you have active symptoms:
- Visit the patient portal or call (269) 387-3287 to schedule a telehealth appointment with a provider.
- The visit may have costs associated due to deductible or co-pays. The patient is responsible for the balance owed.
If you do not have symptoms:
- The out-of-pocket cost of antigen testing is $50. Insurance does not pay for tests that are not medically necessary. Call (269) 387-3287 to make an appointment.
after a result is known
If a symptomatic patient tests positive, they must isolate until:
- At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared, AND at least 24 hours (1 day) have passed since recovery—defined as resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and improvement in respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath).
If a symptomatic patient tests positive or negative for COVID-19, no matter the type of test, they still should take preventive measures to protect themselves and others.
If an asymptomatic patient tests positive, they must isolate until:
- At least 10 days have passed since the date of their first positive COVID-19 diagnostic test assuming they have not subsequently developed symptoms since their positive test.
If a patient tests negative for COVID-19 by a viral (antigen) test, they probably were not infected at the time the sample was collected. However, that does not mean they will not get sick. The test result only means that they did not have COVID-19 at the time of testing.
Things to consider
- As with any medical test, there is the potential for false-positive or false-negative test results.
- A positive antigen test result means that a person must self-isolate in an effort to avoid infecting others.
- A positive test may result in extended quarantine or isolation and additional tests, with additional costs.
- Testing alone does not replace treatment by a medical provider.
- You will be asked to sign an informed consent acknowledgment.