Recommended Books on Eating Disorders and Body Image
Spiritual / For the Soul:
- Peace Is Every Step - Thich Nhat Hanh
- Be Free Where You Are - Thich Nhat Hanh
- Everyday Sacred: A Woman’s Journey Home - Sue Bender
- Regaining Your Self - Ira Sacker
- Journey to the Heart: Daily Meditations on the Path to Freeing Your Soul - Melody Beattie
- Father Hunger: Fathers, Daughters, and the Pursuit of Thinness - Margo Maine and Craig Johnson
- Mindful Eating 101: A Guide for Healthy Eating in College and Beyond - Susan Albers
- Desperately Seeking Self: An Inner Guidebook for People With Eating Problems - Viola Fodor
- Get out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance & Commitment Therapy - Steven Hayes
- Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program that Works - Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch
- BodyLove: Learning to Like Our Looks and Ourselves – A Practical Guide for Women - Rita Freedman
- Eating in the Light of the Moon: How Women Can Transform Their Relationship with Food Through Myths, Metaphors, and Storytelling - Anita Johnson
Informational and Workbooks:
- Bulimia: A Guide to Recovery - Lindsey Hall and Leigh Cohn
- 100 Questions and Answers About Eating Disorders - Carolyn Costin
- Too Perfect: When Being in Control Gets Out of Control - Jeannette Dewayze and Allan Mallinger
- Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear and Panic - Jeffrey Brantley
- Hope, Help and Healing for Eating Disorders: A New Approach to Treating Anorexia, Bulimia and Overeating - Gregory L. Jantz
- Body Wars, Making Peace with Women’s Bodies – Margo Maine
- The Thin Woman: Feminism, Post-Structuralism and the Social Psychology of Anorexia Nervosa -Helen Mason
- Levis, Lesbians, and Lipstick: The Meaning of Beauty in Our Lives - Jeanine Cogan
- Fed Up: The Break-Through, Non-Diet, Ten-Step Fitness Plan - Wendy Oliver-Pratt
- Gaining: The Truth About Life After Eating Disorders - Amy Liu
- Life Without Ed: How One Woman Gained Independence From Her Eating Disorder and How You Can Too - Jenni Schaefer
- Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain: How a New Science Reveals Our Extraordinary Potential to Transform Ourselves - Sharon Begley
More books on eating disorders can be found at Eating Disorders Resource Catalog.
About-Face equips women and girls with tools to understand and resist harmful media images that affect self-esteem and body image.
Eating Disorder Referral and Information Center is an international organization offering a comprehensive database of eating disorder treatment professionals.
National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) provides information about eating disorders and advocacy, sponsors support groups, and makes referrals by hotline and email. They also offer information in Spanish.
National Eating Disorders Association offers educational materials and prevention programs and sponsors Eating Disorders Awareness Week.
Men with Eating Disorders provides information and resources for and about men with eating disorders.
Body Image provides information and links.
MEDLINE Plus is the National Library of Medicine's comprehensive eating disorders website.