About Sindecuse Health Center
Western Michigan University's Sindecuse Health Center offers convenient, cost-saving services with an experienced, multidisciplinary staff dedicated to maintaining and improving patient health. We provide evaluation and treatment for a variety of illnesses and injuries, preventive health check-ups, periodic health monitoring, as well as health promotion opportunities that enhance individual and community health.
We maintain accreditation under the standards set by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care Inc. We strive to provide quality health care for the WMU community and undergo this accreditation process to ensure we continually improve our delivery of quality health care. As it has been for over four decades, accreditation is the highest form of public recognition a health care organization can receive for the quality of care it provides.
History of Sindecuse Health Center
The original nurse-run health center was started in 1927 on east campus and moved to the current building in 1969. On Sept. 11, 1986, Gordon Sindecuse, a local dentist, and his wife Elizabeth offered a substantial gift to Western Michigan University. At that time, it was the largest unrestricted gift ever received in the history of WMU. The donation resulted in the establishment of the Gordon and Elizabeth Sindecuse Endowment. Thus, the University Health Center became the Sindecuse Health Center.