To express interest in pursuing the pre-Education pathway, please complete the Master of Arts in Teaching: Secondary Education (MAT-SE) program inquiry form. When completing this form, please understand that you are not applying to the program. Once the form is completed, further instructions will be provided.
- Complete the inquiry form to express your interest in pursuing the pre-Education pathway in one of the teachable content areas in the College of Arts and Sciences. The Pre-Education advisor will help you develop a planned program of study that includes the appropriate College of Arts and Sciences course work for your intended certification area as well as three undergraduate education courses (ES 2000, ED 3200 and ED 4200) that provide experience working with teachers and students in a secondary education setting. Beth Cramer is the pre-secondary education pathway advisor
- Complete bachelor's degree in your content area through WMU College of Arts and Sciences.
- In your senior year, pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) for the appropriate secondary education discipline. And, for World Language certification, pass the appropriate MTTC and Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) with advanced low or higher.
- In your senior year, apply for admission to the M.A. in teaching: secondary education (MAT). *Not all applicants who meet the qualifications will be accepted.
- After graduating with your bachelor's degree, and if you have been admitted, complete the MAT in secondary education. The 13-month intensive program requires full-time enrollment, and involves a cohort-based approach to instruction and a year-long internship in a public school setting, in addition to foundations and pedagogy coursework. At that time, pending successful completion of the program requirements, you may be recommended to the State of Michigan for a teaching certificate in Secondary Education.