Do you have a passion for helping those who are blind or visually impaired? Do you have an interest in and aptitude for technology and problem solving? We designed this program with you in mind. We prepare vision professionals to advance their careers though additional knowledge in assistive technology to help those who are blind, visually impaired or have functional visual limitations.
The AT BVI Certificate has multiple tracks to completion. The program coordinator will work with students to understand their goals and background and will match them to the appropriate track. All students take the following core classes:
- BLS 6840 – Assessment – Offered online in fall
- BLS 6850 – Instruction – Offered online in spring
Based on prior experience, concurrent enrollment and career goals, you will also be assigned either on-campus technology courses or on-the-job internship requirements.
WHY OUR PROGRAM?
- Coursework for this program is completely online, providing flexibility for working adults.
- This program requires a professional field experience that you could complete at your existing workplace.
- If you already have a master’s degree in a blindness and low vision discipline, you may be able to add as few as 9 credits to complete this certification.
- You also may be able to use your previous field experience toward this certificate.
Speak to an advisor in the Department of Blindness and Low Vision Studies for more information.
Our program will help many of our graduates successfully pass the Certified Assistive Technology Instructional Specialists for People with Visual Impairments exam (CATIS) offered though the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals (ACVREP).