SUMMER II 2020
The Writing Center is happy to assist all WMU students during the summer online instruction period. Our online scheduler lists appointments for the Summer II session Monday through Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. We can also arrange for appointments at other times. For complete details about our assistance, read all of the information below. If that information does not cover your needs, or you need to arrange a meeting outside of our hours, call (269) 599-5166.
IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE WRITING CENTER, PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE PAGE TO FIND THE INFORMATION YOU NEED.
Three options for Writing Center help:
1. Online + Telephone/Teams Appointments—Use our online scheduler (see scheduler registration instructions below) to make appointments that can last up to 50 minutes. Through our scheduler, you can attach papers and other documents, like the assignment or a rubric. We can also meet you in the WMU Writing Center Teams environment in Microsoft Teams via a Google doc or through other easily available technology.
2. Request Help at Other Times—If our hours do not work for you, call us at (269) 599-5166 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your available times and your needs. If no one answers the phone, leave a message with your phone number and name.
3. Emailed Comments—We can now work with some students by answering email questions and/or by making no more than SEVEN (7) different comments on drafts. We'll need at least 48 hours to respond to such emails. If you want this help option, email email@example.com the following information:
- Your questions or papers.
- A telephone number so we may contact you if we have questions.
- Your assignment, grading rubric, or other materials that will help us understand what you are working on.
- Your deadline.
- Your class name and number (ex., English 4020: Studies in the Novel).
- Your instructor’s name.
Ideally, we need at least 48 hours (2 days) to make sure we can help you with papers. If you cannot give us that time, consider one of our other options, contact (269) 599-5166, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We may be able to help anyway.
Writing Center Online Scheduler
Your current Western Login and password WON’T automatically work with our online scheduler. First-time users wanting to schedule an appointment MUST REGISTER to use our scheduler. Do so by following the instructions below:
- Go to https://wmich.mywconline.com/
- Click the words “First visit? Register for an account.”
- Fill in the registration information.
- Check “yes” for all email options. We won’t send mass emails, and you’ll want to get appointment emails.
- Click on the “Register” button.
- Notice the message “You have successfully registered! Please log in below to continue.’
- Login using your email and password and click on any white square to make an appointment.
Other Key Info About Our Scheduler
- White squares show open appointments. Blue squares indicate booked appointments or hours specific consultants are not working.
- Appointments may last up to 50 minutes and may be extended if the consultant does not have other work scheduled.
- Writers may make two appointments weekly. Email email@example.com or call (269) 387-4615 if you need more appointments for a week. We will try our best to help you with additional appointments or other ways.
USING MICROSOFT TEAMS – WMU Writing Center
We established a new Microsoft Teams channel that allows writers to connect with writing consultants. The name of the channel is WMU Writing Center. If you want to meet in Teams, during your pre-scheduled appointment, let us know in the message section of the online scheduler, via an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone at (269) 599-5166. We are not monitoring our Teams channel for drop-ins. Email or telephone us to see if we are available for a drop-in.
- Log in to Microsoft Teams
- In your web browser (Google Chrome recommended), go to https://wexchange.wmich.edu and log in - use YourBroncoNetID@wmich.edu and password. (It's important to include "@wmich.edu" after your Bronco NetID at this login.)
- Click on Teams app logo (it's blue-ish-purple) and Teams will open in a new browser tab.
- Click the gold button below to go to the WMU Writing Center team. When you see the "Stay better connected..." message in your browser, click Use the web app instead. Click Join Now.
- You will automatically be on the "General" channel. In the left-side menu, click on the “Ask for Help Now” to see which consultant is available to help. You can also select the “How to Guide” channel for more instructions about using the site to seek help.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page where it says "start a new conversation".
- Enter "I need help" or questions here. Be sure that a consultant has left a message to indicate someone is on duty.
- If no one responds within 10 minutes, consultants are busy or you've entered Teams during hours we are not open.
- If you need help, call (269) 599-5166.