Writing Center Assistance
The Writing Center is happy to assist all WMU writers. Our online scheduler lists our current appointment hours.
Online or In-Person Help
1. Virtual Appointments—Use our online scheduler (see instructions below) to make a 50 minute appointment. Through our scheduler, you can attach documents like papers, assignments, or rubrics. Once your appointment is scheduled, we will plan to meet you in the WMU Writing Center Team in Microsoft Teams (see instructions below to access Teams). If you would like to meet virtually another way (phone, Google doc, Zoom, Webex), please leave a note on your appointment in the scheduler.
If we don't see you on Teams within the first five minutes of your appointment, we will try reaching out by phone or email in case of technological difficulties.
2. In-Person Appointments —We are now open again for in-person appointments. Use our online scheduler (see instructions below) to make a 50 minute appointment. Through our scheduler, you can attach documents like papers, assignments, or rubrics. Once your appointment is scheduled, we will plan to meet you in the WMU Writing Center in Ellsworth Hall. You can view our What to Bring page before your appointment.
If you need help and cannot find an appointment time during our open hours, or if you need to meet outside of our regular hours, call us at (269) 387-4615 or email us at email@example.com to discuss your available times and your needs. If no one answers the phone, leave a message with your name and phone number.
2. Drop-In Hours —We offer drop-in hours on a first-come first-served basis as consultants are available. We try to have one consultant on drop-in duty every hour that we are open, and we have drop-in consulting available on Sunday evenings at the library.
Writing Center Online Scheduler
Your current Western Login and password WON’T automatically work with our online scheduler. First-time users wanting to schedule an appointment MUST REGISTER to use our scheduler. Follow these steps to register:
- Go to https://wmich.mywconline.com/
- Click the words “First visit? Register for an account” and fill in the registration information.
- Check “yes” for all email options. We won’t send mass emails, and you’ll want to get appointment emails.
- Click on the “Register” button.
- Login using your email and password and click on any white square to make an appointment.
Other Key Info About Our Scheduler
- White squares show open appointments. Blue squares indicate booked appointments or hours specific consultants are not working.
- Appointments may last up to 50 minutes and may be extended if the consultant does not have other work scheduled.
- Writers may make two appointments weekly. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (269) 387-4615 if you need more appointments for a week. We will try our best to help you with additional appointments or other ways.
Using Microsoft Teams – WMU Writing Center
We established a new Microsoft Teams channel that allows writers to connect with writing consultants. The name of the channel is WMU Writing Center.
Accessing the WMU Writing Center Team
- In your web browser (Google Chrome recommended), click the gold 'WMU Writing Center' button below and click 'Join Now'.
- You can either download Teams or use the browser version. To stay in your browser, when you follow the link, click Use the web app instead.
- Log in using your WMU email. Then it will take you to the WMU sign-in page, where you can log in with your Bronco Net ID and password.
- If you need help, call (269) 599-5166.
Chat With Us
- You will automatically be on the "General" channel. In the left-side menu, click on the “Ask for Help Now” to see which consultant is available to help. You can also select the “How to Guide” channel for more instructions about using the site to seek help.
- In the "Ask for Help" channel, scroll to the bottom of the page where it says "start a new conversation" and type your message. If no one responds within 10 minutes, consultants are busy or you've entered Teams during hours we are not open.