The Writing Center’s consultants provide an invaluable service to the WMU writing community by working with students, faculty and staff to improve their writing, research and critical-thinking skills. If you are interested in writing and, more importantly, passionate about helping others on WMU’s campus, we’d love for you to join our team!
Interested consultant candidates should display the following characteristics:
- Knowledge of various writing conventions and effective strategies.
- Commitment toward learning new techniques for aiding other writers.
- Dedication to fostering a professional work environment for clients.
- Sense of reliability and punctuality in attending shifts, meetings, etc.
- Willingness to support and promote the mission of the Writing Center.
In order to work as a writing consultant in the Writing Center, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be enrolled, in good standing, at least half-time throughout the semester(s) or session(s) of employment:
- Half-time undergraduate = 6 hours fall or spring, 3 hours summer I or summer II.
- Half-time graduate = 3 hours fall or spring, 2 hours summer I or summer II.
- Must possess U.S. employment eligibility documentation.
- Must work no more than 25 hours per week for all WMU employment positions in fall and spring semesters, during breaks and periods of non-enrollment. Student employees may work less than 40 hours per week during summer I or summer II only.
- Jobs in an American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees staffed operation are limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week, in accordance with the regulations set forth in article 1.1.3 of the 2009-2012 AFSCME and WMU Agreement.
- International students work a maximum of 20 hours per week during mandatory enrollment periods, due to immigration regulations.
- Must be responsible for reporting all campus jobs to all supervisors. Identify the department, supervisor, and the number of hours worked in each job.
To apply, please complete the application and return it to email@example.com