The Writing Center’s receptionist staff plays a crucial role in connecting our clients with our writing consultants. Because the Writing Center serves so many members of the WMU community throughout the academic year, we simply cannot operate without our great and dedicated administrative team!
Interested receptionist candidates should display the following characteristics:
- Ability to answer and direct client questions, concerns, etc.
- Ability to multitask and problem-solve without direct supervision.
- Dedication to fostering a professional workplace environment for clients.
- Sense of reliability and punctuality in attending shifts, meetings, etc.
- Willingness to support and promote the mission of the Writing Center.
In order to work as a receptionist in the Writing Center, candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be enrolled, in good standing, at least half-time throughout the semester(s) or session(s) of employment:
- Half-time undergraduate = 6 hours fall or spring, 3 hours summer I or summer II.
- Half-time graduate = 3 hours fall or spring, 2 hours summer I or summer II.
- Must possess U.S. employment eligibility documentation.
- Must work no more than 25 hours per week for all WMU employment positions in fall and spring semesters, during breaks and periods of non-enrollment. Student employees may work less than 40 hours per week during summer I or summer II only.
- Jobs in an American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees staffed operation are limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week, in accordance with the regulations set forth in article 1.1.3 of the 2009-2012 AFSCME and WMU Agreement.
- International students work a maximum of 20 hours per week during mandatory enrollment periods, due to immigration regulations.
- Must be responsible for reporting all campus jobs to all supervisors. Identify the department, supervisor and the number of hours worked in each job.
- Must prove a Federal Work Study award at the point of hire, where applicable. Notify supervisor immediately if Federal Work Study award has changed or been eliminated.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org