Are you thinking about majoring in advertising and promotion? Here’s what you can look forward to in the major and from your career.
The advertising and promotion major, housed within Western Michigan University’s Haworth College of Business and administered through the Department of Marketing, attracts creative, strategically minded students and provides them with an interactive education that ensures they will have the skills and knowledge necessary for success.
The program focuses on hands-on learning with courses emphasizing experiential learning and portfolio-development opportunities. We have small class sizes, and our faculty all have real-world experience in the field.
As an advertising and promotion major you’ll graduate with an AACSB-accredited Bachelor of Business Administration degree. Less than 10 percent of all advertising education in the nation is housed within business schools, which makes your WMU degree that much more impressive.
Beyond the classroom
Advertising and promotion majors continue to excel in national student advertising competitions. Student teams from the advertising and promotion major have earned honors and recognition from:
- American Advertising Federation’s National Student Advertising Competition
- Promotional Products Association International
- Yellow Pages Publishers Association
- Direct Marketing Educational Foundation’s Collegiate Echo Competition
Since 2004, WMU students have consistently taken top-10 national honors in the EdVenture Partners National Case Study Competition, with multiple top-five honors.
As an advertising and promotion major you’ll be eligible to compete for several scholarships within the Department of Marketing, including the following.
- Zane Cannon Memorial Scholarship
- Ronald J. Davis Biggs-Gilmore Communications Scholarship
- Philip A. Long Biggs-Gilmore Communications Scholarship
- Cynthia Wrazien-Hirt Endowed Memorial Advertising Scholarship
- Advertising and Promotion Industry Advisory Board Scholarship
You can also greatly enhance your professional development by getting involved with the WMU AdClub, where you can network with a variety of industry leaders, and gain exposure to agency tours, career-related job symposiums, and other project experiences. Join us at wmuadclub.com.
After you graduate
Recent WMU graduates with degrees in advertising and promotion are working as:
- Account coordinators and executives
- Social media managers
- Digital creative directors
- Media planners, buyers and sales representatives
- Strategic planners and market research analysts
- Marketing coordinators and associates
- Copywriters and art directors
- Advertising, brand and project managers
- Production specialists
- Event planners
- Digital analytics managers
- Internet marketing managers
Advertising and promotion majors are recruited and hired by small, medium and large agencies, as well as media and client organizations. Some graduates even start their own successful agencies. With more than 2,000 alumni across the country, here is a short list of some of the most notable organizations where WMU advertising alumni work.
- Fox Cable Networks
- Leo Burnett
- Marketing Works
- McCann Erickson
- Team Detroit
Where is this program offered?