To encourage campus-wide globalization, Western Michigan University offers several resources to support faculty international research and activity.
Global Engagement Award
- The Global Engagement Award Committee is seeking nominations for the University's Global Engagement Award. This award will be for contributions to the global engagement of the university and to its students, faculty and staff; to our knowledge and understanding of global affairs; and/or to communities and stakeholders locally or abroad. The contributions can be in the realm of teaching and other instructional activities, research and creative activities, service, and/or outreach. Information and nomination form.
- The International Education Council of the WMU Faculty Senate, Office of the Provost, and the Diether H. Haenicke Institute for Global Education are working together to increase global engagement across campus. One aspect of this is internationalizing the curriculum. Information.
- Global Engagement Fund—offers co-funding for activities that enhance global engagement on campus, such as visiting scholar events, support for conferences or workshops at WMU, and other internationalization activities.
- International Education Faculty Development Fund—funding to support projects that improve international education at WMU.
- College of Arts and Sciences International Event Support Award—for college faculty only. This award supports activities related to global engagement, including hosting conferences or workshops, visiting scholar events, and campus reading groups.
- Timothy Light Center for Chinese Studies Faculty Research Grant—provides support to Western Michigan University faculty for research and creative activities related to the study of greater China. All board-appointed, full-time faculty are eligible to apply.
Faculty exchange and study abroad resources
- WMU enjoys formal partnerships with more than 100 international institutions, offering a wide range of options to faculty who are interested in exchange opportunities. Information.
- WMU offers a short-term faculty exchange opportunity at the University of Passau, Germany. Information.
Fulbright grants for faculty
- Each year, approximately 1,100 American scholars and professionals lecture and research through the Fulbright United States Scholar Program. Information.
Inviting and hosting international visitors
- Invite international visitors to campus—protocols for WMU faculty and other employees seeking to invite international visitors to campus.
International travel information
- Resources and information for WMU employees traveling outside of the U.S. for business, teaching or research. Information.